AIMBOT prevention

Started by
11 comments, last by DragonWolf 20 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by DragonWolf
Patch the original client software. This would require alot of work on the part of the hacker and I don''t think there are many hackers who would be willing to do that. (requires reverse engineering (not just disassembling) finding the correct bits of code and altering them. (SOLUTION: If the file is corrupt, game updates and checksums would fail)

So they patch in RAM instead of on disk. It''s a pretty common practice amoung cheat developers.

quote:
Read the memory and trace the program. Block the outgoing signal and re-encrypt a new packet. The offending software knows what should be in the packet by the program trace and the data by looking at the memory). (SOLUTION: Like you say monitor processes and the use of readProcessMemory and writeProcessMemory)

How are you going to monitor process once they patch those checks out of your executable?

quote:
The most efficent and probably easiest method would be to directly write to the client programs memory. Ensuring the player model is always aimed at the head/vital points of other characters. However, I think this would cause memory collisions and could well crash the client program. (SOLUTION: Again monitor processes and the use of readProcessMemory and writeProcessMemory)

That''s a much more common approach than you think. All they need to do is set up some test cases and they will rapidly find the approriate vvariables in memory. As to your proposed prevention method, see above - they''ll patch it right out.

quote:
As for backing up originals, that doesn''t help since they would have to download a new cheat for the newer version.

If your game is popular, cheat developers will be more numerous and more productive than your game developers. When you patch, they will patch. With Half-life, this sometimes would happen within hours.

You''re barking up the wrong tree, here. Starting an arms race with cheat developers is not going to be productive for you in the long run, because they have a large pool of talent and once _one_ is successful they will all know your tricks.

You need to design stuff into your server and your gameplay that will minimize the impact of aimbots. Trying to stop them at the client is just not going to work. You can''t ever trust the client, so don''t try to produce a trusted environment there!
Advertisement
I have the server side/networking aspect sorted but aimbot is v. hard to detect server side and the one hack that I think would ruin the fun factor for subscribers. I would rather try and hinder the making of aimbots than just leave the software completely open to cracks.

Hence the whole making of this post and asking about aimbot in particular. If you have any good ideas for preventing it server side I''d like to hear about it, but short of marking players that get a certain percentage of headshots, players that hit the exact same spot on the head every time or "jump" to pointing at a target I can''t think of much.
If the service requires pay, players will be less willing to get caught. That also means that less players will cheat.
Of course banning someone on false grounds won''t make them happy...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement