[java] Cel shaded FPS

Started by
11 comments, last by Jonbca 20 years, 10 months ago
We''ve been working on design docs for a new FPS. We are a noobie group and this will be our first engine, but I was wondering what you guys would like to see in a FPS given no time, money or talent concerns. We are also thinking about having it cel shaded. We want it to be look somewhat realistic, not completly cartoonish. What do you guys think about this. Would you want it to be an option or ... We are just writing docs right now so any ideas you guys cna present could be included. What do you think. This is a big endevour for us, and we know that we are probably not yet completly ready for all that it will take, but, i''ll be a learning experience. Given this, please don''t post "your project is going to hell because you don''t know xxxx". By the way, this is going to be programming in java using LWJGL to access opengl. thanks
Advertisement
if this is your first project i would suggest using a pre made 3d engine. this will increase your chances of actually getting results before losing interest.

as for the cel shading idea, i would suggest sticking to a plain old standard fps, and then maybe modifying it later on.

Thanks for the post. We had decided to port a open source engine to java. We''ve been looking at how cel shading is done and we will be modeling apprepriate for the choosen methods. The biggest question we have is what you would like to see that would make this stand out even a little. Thanks for your thoughts
i spose it''ll be cool if you put innocent ppl waling around in the world, and when you start shooting they run off in terror, then you shoot them in the back! ahhahaha!

hehehe, you are a sick sick person. I''ll see what I can do. Just to let you know, we''re working on just getting it playable (multiplayer type levels) then build the single player levels/story later.
cool dude. keep us posted.

XIII

Good luck, but if you''re beginners, I''d suggest not trying to make an online FPS...especially not in Java (unless you''re planning on compiling into binaries). You''re aiming a bit too high.

--SuperRoy
[ Author:: Linux GameDev Articles ] [ Programmer:: WhitespaceUnlimited ] [ Webdesigner:: CTH3.com Webdesign ]
Sup guys?
Just don''t make another kill monsters - find red key - find red door - kill monsters - find blue door - search empty hallways again and again for blue key - find blue key - backtrack to blue door - kill monsters type game. Also maybe give the player a body that you can see when you look down.
maybe you can make a "fun game", with kids and water-pistols, and when you start shooting they run off in terror, then you shoot them in the back! ahhahaha!
2nd level: snowballs!
3rd level: spagethi!
and when you''re too dirty, you must go to your mum. Yeah, that would change a bit from the usual kill&go. Maybe it''s a good alternative for an "amateur" project, you can''t pretend to make a quake-like-quality after all!
cheers.

PS: don''t forget to pick up the small washing powder boxes! :-P
quote:Original post by Ditto Brother Rat
Just don''t make another kill monsters - find red key - find red door - kill monsters - find blue door - search empty hallways again and again for blue key - find blue key - backtrack to blue door - kill monsters type game.

Yes, please avoid that crap. I hate that stuff. It''s a sign of poor game design, laziness, and poor imagination. Worse, it''s insulting to anyone who makes the mistake of paying for such a game. Worse still, it''s boring.

quote:
Also maybe give the player a body that you can see when you look down.

No, please, do not do that! I just know I''d end up with a gray, spaghetti-stained undershirt stretched over a beer belly so formiddable that I couldn''t tell whether or not my feet had been fragged off.

I have to say that I love MisterX''s idea for a kiddie FPS. It sounds like a cross between Quake and Zombies Ate My Neighbors! I would love to play a game like that.

Since this is your first game project, I would suggest something small, and not very ambitious. But you seem really interested in (and intent on) this project. So ....

I think it''s always best to start small. Work incrementally. Don''t try to hammer out everything at once. Pick one thing and get that up and running. If you run into problems, don''t put them aside and move on to something else. If you do, you may find that the work you did afterward was wasted. And if you have any problems (and you will ... we all do) there''s always someone at the Java Development forum to help.

I''m glad to hear that you''re working on design docs first. The first step to avoiding major headaches is to plan well. Some people prefer to jump right in and begin coding. I do that myself sometimes. But if you''re working on a large project, proper planning is very important. So that''s already something you''re doing right.

Also follow the Java naming convention, and comment your code. If several people are working on the project, your comments should be very clear. You may understand what // from curPanel means, but if someone else doesn''t, you could have a problem.

And don''t get discouraged. You''re bound to run into problems, there are bound to be disagreements between the people working on your project, and things will look pretty grim at some point or other. Don''t worry about it; that''s normal. Remember that it''s better to finish a small game than to begin a large game, and it''s better to create a few classes you can use in the future than a massive mess of code that needs to be scrapped.

Most importantly, don''t forget to have fun. When you''re no longer having fun, it''s probably time to take a break. Life is brief, so don''t waste your time.

Good luck, and feel free to let us know how you''re doing. We learn a lot from our own projects, but we can learn a lot from others as well.

What shall you name your game? I suggest Majsdklgfjiad90uf!, but that''s a matter of personal preference. Good luck!

Jonathon
quote:"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush

"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu

America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it''s in.

Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement