XCom clone.

Started by
28 comments, last by samsmithnz 20 years, 9 months ago
I''m really interested in creating an XCom/Jagged Alliance/Fallout tactical strategy (rpg?) game, particularly as another game in the series (kind of) is about to be released in September (UFO: Aftermath). I really love this type of game, and would love to work on a project that recreated this gem, but with a twist. I''ve been playing UFO: Enemy unknown and Jagged Alliance 2 for the past 2 weeks, and these two games I think use the Tactical strategy best. I''m sure that much of what has been created out here in the indie game development world can be reused, and I''d like create a game without recreating the wheel, (using an existing gaming engine and tools), and also hopefully get some people on board to help with graphics, coding and graphics (in that order). I am serious about this, and have many ideas. I''m not totally sure if I want (or need) to use DirectX yet (and if so which one), and I haven''t decided on a language yet either, but I''m thinking more towards C# or VB/VB.NET, as I don''t believe C++ is required (as it is in RTS and 1st person shooters!) I''ve had a look around in the last couple of weeks for similar projects on the web (like sourceforge, gamedev, and various gaming communities), but they all seem dead and buried long ago. And the final game doesn''t have to be Aliens Vs Humans, at the moment all my design documents just show a ''player'' vs a ''monster''. Using OO techniques I think we could create an underlying game, where the graphics can be easily changed/ modded, so that a UFO, WW2 or a post-apolylaptic (or a combination of all three) type game is possible.
--ThanksSamFor the latest development news:<a href="http://www.samsmith.co.nz/UFO/index.html>UFO: X-Clone
Advertisement
Good luck!
Please, please, please, please, please go and complete this project. Now. Don''t just talk about it. I would die happy if I got to play a good JA2/XCOM game.

The entire XCOM series has been horribly treated by its owners, and I have few hopes that we''ll even see UFO:Aftermath, let alone that it won''t suck. From some of the articles I have seen on Aftermath, it sounds like they are starting to move away from turn-based play. Ah, just what we need, another shitty RTS pretending to be a squad-level strategy game.
I''m playing X-COM 2 for the sixth or seventh time atm, it''s still one of the best game designs ever. If you want to work on something similar, check out Xenocide, they''re looking for more developers right now.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Please, please, please, please, please go and complete this project. Now. Don''t just talk about it. I would die happy if I got to play a good JA2/XCOM game.

The entire XCOM series has been horribly treated by its owners, and I have few hopes that we''ll even see UFO:Aftermath, let alone that it won''t suck. From some of the articles I have seen on Aftermath, it sounds like they are starting to move away from turn-based play. Ah, just what we need, another shitty RTS pretending to be a squad-level strategy game.

Check out www.ufo-aftermath.com, they are actually using a turn-based method where both sides move at the same time (almost RTS, but not quite), I think its a good Idea, but this proposed game would be completely turn based.
Thanks for the link! I found their dev diary pretty interesting, as well as very disappointing.

The tactical combat is being simplified (read: dumbed down). For example, the combat does not allow crawling, going prone or crouching. Your soldier can run or walk, that''s it. Also, they have restricted firing to either an aimed shot or a burst. Aimed shots are always fired while crouching, bursts are always fired while standing. Despite the simultaneous resolution, soldiers cannot fire while moving; they move, stop, and fire.

The reasons are given <a href=" http://www.ufo-aftermath.com/pages/devdiary9.html">here</a>, but it can be summed up as a design decision to make the game "accessible to all kind of players, not only to hardcore veteran wargamers." Sigh. How many times have I heard that?

From reading the diary entries, and browsing the tactical forum (http://www.chatbear.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=boardlisting&boardid=2453&view=flatold),
this sounds like a game in trouble. It''s been redesigned and recoded several times, and the design continues to evolve away from the original XCOM games. The original publisher stopped sending milestone payments, I really hope I''m wrong, but I think the final result from Altar will be very disappointing.
While Alter seem to have made several design ''simplifications'', I do like a lot of what they''ve done, (for example research). But I am not that impressed with the story line. The original Storyline for UFO -Enemy unknown is still the most believable and best so far. I''d like to see a remake of this game using updated directx technology, I guess thats what I''m aiming at creating...
--ThanksSamFor the latest development news:<a href="http://www.samsmith.co.nz/UFO/index.html>UFO: X-Clone
You should look at

http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/

Its a play by email game by the makers of ufo etc.. uses the same 1/2 turn based 1/2 real time system its really quite good.

And I'm very interested in helping with this project,

I am a intermediate c++ and directx8.1 programmer with a little bit of opengl knowledge, I also have an early demo of my own turn based game engine.

email me at gick_thomson@yahoo.co.uk

or msn gick@postmaster.co.uk

if you're interested?

[edited by - gick on June 2, 2003 9:32:23 PM]
Ahh Im also a lover of the XCOM/UFO games.

...when entering a room looking for aliens, be SURE to do a full 360, viewing the entire room! lol

www.cppnow.com
I just thought I'd let some of you guys know that I've teamed up with Gick in England, and we've started work. You can follow our game progress at my website.

[edited by - samsmithnz on July 18, 2003 12:13:08 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement