Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Level editors for independent engines

This topic is 5311 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I''ve been working on a 3D engine for a while now, and it''s gotten to the point that we don''t have a reasonable method of making levels in our native data format, so I''ve been looking around at other level-making tools such as Q3Radiant and its brethren, Valve''s Hammer Editor, QuArK, etc. I''d rather make use of a tool that doesn''t cost tons of money to acquire (3DS Max, Maya, XSI, etc), but the game-specific tools all come with restrictions in their EULA saying things like "you may only create levels for Quake 3 with this tool" and since my engine is quite clearly not Quake 3, it seems I can''t use them. I''ve looked at QuArK, and it has support for Crystal Space and Torque, so it seems there is hope - all I need to do is make a custom importer or exporter. On a related note, how many people using OGRE, NeoEngine, and any others that have "Quake3 BSP loaders" are using Radiant or a similarly-restricted tool to create content, and how friendly will id be when these people start selling content created with their tools, without paying id their $500K in licensing fees?