Ice - Air or Water???

Started by
18 comments, last by rayruok 20 years, 10 months ago
Designing a RPG with the four elements - which is more approprite??? A spell called Ice Bolt/Ice Spike/etc. falling under Water or Air. Now I know ur immediate answer will be - Water. But the Water race is usually situated at the edge of the land next to the water and the Air race is high up in the snowy mountains(kinda funny because air is thinner in the mountains). So now it seems more approprite under the Air race where its cold and they use a spell from their land. Tell me what u think!?!
Advertisement
Ice, Shock, Rock, ..

.lick
It can't be a hybrid Air-Water?

If you're interested in chemical content, it's Water.
If you're interested in temperature, it's Air (since the Air race lives in a cold place)

I guess I'm more interested in the cold effect, so Air would probably be appropriate.

Then again, a Wall of Ice isn't there to be cold, it's there to be a barrier. Would that be Air or Water?

[edited by - Waverider on May 29, 2003 2:17:34 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
i''d think ICE spells would fall between (or maybe in combination?) of AIR and WATER... just like MUD spells are a combination of WATER and EARTH...
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
yeah ok!!!

but air has another more fitting property - lightning

but then think about some of these spells

cast on ur on weapon to inc dmg:
earth - harden
fire - heat
air - ice over(ice)/charge(lightning)
water - ??? (ice maybe)
Water is the "opposite" of Fire. (Likewise, Earth and Air are "opposites". Therefore, anything cold is also water, regardless of whether it occurs in the air or not.

I like to think of the elements as sort of a compass. Air is North, Earth is South, Water is West, fire is East.

Earth is solid stuff, like rocks and trees. Air, is the opposite, which means stuff like electricity and wind.

Fire is "in-between" earth and air, since it is requires a combination of the two (ie. wood and oxygen to light a campfire). Similarly, water is "earthified" (or solidified) air; it contains aspects of both. It is somewhere "in-between", but directly opposite of fire.

So, what''s my point? Well, opposite elements don''t really get along. If it''s windy, hide behind a big rock. Live wire? Insulate yourself by some earthly material. Burn your hand? Grab some ice. Therefore, ice == water.

But, that''s just my opinion.
Original post by rayruok

cast on ur on weapon to inc dmg:
earth - harden
water - ??? (ice maybe)

water to freeze/harden the blade, much like it''s used in reality.

earth is either associated with gravity force -- could affect the weapon by making it more ''dense'' and thus heavier. Or if it''s earth in sense of nature i.e. plants etc, then it could cover the blade with poison.
You could try to break away from ancient greek elements and try inventing a few of your own. From what I gather, the NPCs of your game''s world are broken into tribes based on element. Why not just invent a Goddess for each tribe and junk the elements.

If you need help with naming, I found this with google:
http://folkloreandmyth.netfirms.com/gods_goddesses.html
william bubel
in my game spells have a percentage of different elements. IE: Ice Storm has 66% cold damage and 33% wind damage.
I think it should go in the ''frozen goods'' section. Just next to the meat counter.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement