Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EDI

Look at my screenshots

Hey all, I decided to get some feedback on my screenshots for the game I am currently working on. the graphics are pretty much test graphics, I am still looking for an artist who can do a better job than I. (if anyone is interested feel free to contact me at EliteF16 at Juno dot com, or on AIM sn:EtherealDarknes, or on MSN rmanpres@hotmail.com) so comments on the lighting system is basicly what im looking for, all other constructive criticisim is welcome tho. also comments on the gui seen in some screenshots is welcome too. these screenshots were taken over the cource of about 2 months, while i was finishing up the engine. here are some specs, screenshots were taking using this setup: Adaptor: DirectDraw7 CPU: AMD Athalon 950 GPU: Radeon 8500 128 MB RAM: ~380 MB RES: 800x600x32 FPS: 60 unlimited, 33 when limited screenshot 1 screenshot 2 screenshot 3 screenshot 4 screenshot 5 screenshot 6 screenshot 7 screenshot 8 screenshot 9 screenshot 10 screenshot 11 Raymond Jacobs, Profesional Web Applications Developer, Weekend Game Developer, www.EtherealDarkness.com [edited by - EDI on May 29, 2003 3:58:22 PM]

Awesome. High-quality stuff. These are you "test graphics"?

The only comment I have is about screen shot 2: with the pillars using the same texture as the floor, it''s a little more difficult to understand the map with a quick glance. I would have to concentrate a bit more to figure out where I could walk, etc.

Great job, looking forward to a demo.

1) Same as above; screen 2, I hope you''ve started using a floor more clearly differentiated from the walls.

2) Screens 10, 11; Gouraud shading is your friend... take advantage of it, if you can!

Overall, very nice... I''m assuming you have functional run-time switching between OpenGL and D3D already. I''ve just one request; make sure you have some easily-accessible way to change the driver outside of the program; my computer loves to crash periodically when using OpenGL due to a driver bug in the T&L engine.

Extremely nice. My only suggestions are to work on the overall color scheme in the menus; somehow the colors feel discordant. I think the gold and brown against the bright, primary-colors background makes it do that. Or maybe I''m just looney

Thank you all for your feedback,

the screenshots your seeing have been taken over time, so yes alot of color scheme has been changed.

BriTeg:
thanks! yeah the graphics are test graphics, I want much better quality than this, in the end product.
yes the floor tiles have been changed to a less noisey set.
demo should be avilible within the next few months.

WyrFrame:
gourad shading is an imposibility for this game,
as i noted in my specs, it''s running using the DirectDraw adaptor. the way my engine is built (it''s called Flare) is in a type of tierd way,
there is the core, which contains all of the basic game functionality, scripting, events, etc this layer is called CoreFlare
then in this case the next tier is 2DFlare which is a finer-point of functions that manage 2dIsometric maps, and sprites and the whole lot. so at this level 2DFlare makes use of things called 2DGFXAdaptors these are dlls that have a unified function set. at the moment i support GDI,DirectDraw and Direct3D.
but since the adaptors control only low level graphical functions i cant make use of the lighting in D3D since GDI and DirectDraw cant handle it, plus having lighting in the adaptors seems a bit out of scope. After i am done with this game i will expand tier 2 to have 3DFlare aswell which will make use of D3D and OGL adaptors (3DGFXAdaptors). as for runtime switch of adaptors, yes there is an ini file that is made for you the first time u run any Flare program (flare.ini) wich keeps records of all installed programs that use flare, there will be a Graphical editor for this, ingame and out of game.

ApochPiQ:
yes the color scheme is a bit off i guess, as i said im not an artist, im the programer=) (and founder of Ethereal Darkness Interactive, game development group lol) so that is why im seeking an artist, tho i guess i havent done too bad with what art skills i have lol.

thank you all again for your comments, i will post more screenshots when i think they are ready=)

Raymond Jacobs,
Profesional Web Applications Developer,
Weekend Game Developer,
www.EtherealDarkness.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
I also thought i would mention this unique fact about my engine.
the GUI your seeing in the screen shots is all put togetehr via XML files, i started using this concept about 1.5 years back *before it was in fasion lol*, so therefor coding my windows is as easy as.

<pre>
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<frame name="Main Menu" left="0" top="0" width="300" height="400" activealpha="0" deactivealpha="128">
<image>data/mainmenubg.gmb</image>
<client x1="5" y1="5" x2="5" y2="5"></client>
<controls>

<control name="new" type="button" left="10" top="90" width="280" height="50">
<image>data/btnblank.gmb</image>
<client x1="0" y1="0" x2="0" y2="0"></client>
<font name="blackchancery" size="28" r="189" g="170" b="49" a="0"></font>
<caption>New</caption>
<tooltip>Begin a new game</tooltip>
</control>

<control name="load" type="button" left="10" top="90" width="280" height="50">
<caption>Load</caption>
<tooltip>Continue a previous game</tooltip>
</control>

<control name="options" type="button" left="10" top="170" width="280" height="50">
<caption>Options</caption>
<tooltip>Configure Options and Settings</tooltip>
</control>
<control name="quit" type="button" left="10" top="250" width="280" height="50">
<caption>Quit</caption>
</control>
</controls>
</frame>
</pre>

the above XML is the same that was used to make the main menu window show in the screen shots

''note: .gmb is my proprietary 32bit image format''

Test graphics? I suddenly feel terribly inadequate. Looks awesome!

-----------------------------
Weeks of programming can save you hours of planning.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world-- those who understand binary and those who don''t.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Dude, this is pretty nice! Keep up the good work!!

Thank you again for your kind remarks=)

the pillars were made and renderd in Rhino3D,
the sprites were made and renderd in poser4,
items and character props were made in Rhino3D and or Bryce4

GUI graphics were made using Bryce4,Poser4,Rhino3D,PhotoShop6 and PicturePublisher8

the flames of the torches were added after using a program i made which lets you take an animated sprite and overlay it on another animated sprite and render frames of the result.

yeah, these are test graphics, for the tiles i used a program that i made which kinda bends the graphics to make them look iso,
i dont like it much, so i found some source code for ISOrotate and i will be modifying my program accordingly, i will also be using it to make the walls, and torches and such will be added in post render.

just to give you an idea of what to expect in the final game or demo, there will be tons of spells, i will be pushing heavily on spell eye candy *as much as can be done in 2d* using mainly
screen shakes, light area bursts and lots of fx sprites.

also unlike most realtime hack and slash games, this one will have a story lol.

i have taken a week of from developing the game, *ive been playing GTA vice city lol* but now im back on track, i will continue refining the menu system aswell as adding in-game options, *subtitles on/off*

this game is meant to be the first installment of a serries of games, based on the characters presented in the first one.

please give me more feedback, im so exited that you guys like it=)

P.S. I am willing to share the source code of my game engine, in return for other source code, at the moment im looking for some short, sweet, and lean MP3 encoder and decorder code.
(please no 3rd party compiled libraries or binaries)
*i am a strong beliver of re-inventing the wheel to make it to my taste*
*also please dont flame me about re-inventing the wheel =) *

let me know if anyone can help=)

Raymond Jacobs,
Weekend Game Developer,
www.EtherealDarkness.com

[edited by - EDI on June 2, 2003 10:12:58 AM]

[edited by - EDI on June 2, 2003 10:50:43 AM]

Thank you all again for your comments=)

I will be posting more screen shots soon,

but at the moment im tied up in development of my MapEditor,
my last one I made in vb and it has a multitude of bugs, plus i have additions to the map format. The new editor is actualy being made using the Game Engine.

So keep your eyes open for more screen shots,
*either on this forum or on my site*

And wish me luck=D

Raymond Jacobs,
Weekend Game Developer,
www.EtherealDarkness.com

EDI, nice work! I''m actually more interested in the back end stuff that you revealed. I too use XML to define all the elements of my game, which includes the user interface (planned) as well as all the animations, definition files etc. I used to use my own tagging method but I found the XML was much fuller featured and I could use the XML validators which meant I didn''t have to do validity checking on all of my definition files. So, I now use XERCES, the Apache XML project in my game.

I really like how you''ve implemented the ability to create the windows from XML definition files. Like I said, that is the plan but currently I''m working on the windowing framework. I''d be interested to learn how you handled that mechanism. My team is trying to implement an MVC pattern for our windowing framework that is reusable and definable from definition files. This is proving to be kind of difficult and time consuming. I don''t want any bad hacks though.

Unfortunately we don''t have any screen shots yet. We have examples of the running animation system (homebuilt) where each animation object will represent a node in an MVC tree. Basically I was doing the 2D on 3D textures before it became the thing to do too.

Sorry, can''t share code unless you want to make yours GPL (which is what ours will be eventually). Our code would virally infect your code with the GPL license then.

Numia Politico development website

RandomTask

IanK,

yeah not married, just a 20 year old programer who makes games during the weekend=D

RandomTask,
Personaly I dont support GPL, and as such I wouldnt want my
code to end up in a GPL product. Also I would need some sort of comensation for giving the knowledge of the inner workings of it since it did take a good amount of time and resources to build.

my screen names and emails are listed above, contact me if you want to talk more on the issue.

Raymond Jacobs,
Weekend Game Developer,
www.EtherealDarkness.com