Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Java or DirectX/C++

This topic is 5303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was an eager game programmer a year ago, unfortunately I fell off, but now i''m back on stream, but i''m not sure what to put my energies into, should I bother perfecting my DirectX game programming, or should I jump into java. Pros for stayin with DirectX I''ve already written a game or two, and I was really hoping to build a few more and venture into the world of 3D graphics. As far as I can remember C++/DirectX is still what most games are being made in today Cons for stayin with DirectX Its getting old, Java is new, what will the market look like 5 years from now Pros for Java I love the wireless game programming thing, I really want to explore the possibilities, but Java is still not a standard in that area, and there''s no telling which programming language will win that fight Cons for Java Its slow, and I want to build fast games, games that I can show my friends and they ask me if I downloaded it or I really made it Help, someone, I''d love to do both, but I dont want to try to learn too much at one time, especially since I''ve taken up internet programming again, and I''m getting ready for school in september, this is the summer when I want to get really good at something "Jus chillin waiting for my time to shine" #define ALEX_DENNIS

Just to let you know, a good java VM with support for tech. such aas hot spot and just in time, can be close, and in some instances, faster than c++. I''m not trying to start a flame war, just letting you know that java optimized and used for the right problems, can still be very fast. If you are looking at the mobile market, java can really put you in there quickly with java ME

well, maybe you should stick with directX/OpenGl for a while. Anyway the power of java is easy to learn and (if) in the future java become a dominant platform you probably have no problem porting your code.

and also try not have to must post like this one you may start a flamme war or something.

quote:
Original post by alexdevmaster
Pros for stayin with DirectX
I''ve already written a game or two, and I was really hoping to build a few more and venture into the world of 3D graphics. As far as I can remember C++/DirectX is still what most games are being made in today

That alone is a good enough reason if you want to spend the summer getting good with something, as you say. Since you already have some experience in this area you aren''t starting from scratch.

quote:

Cons for stayin with DirectX
Its getting old, Java is new, what will the market look like 5 years from now

You''re comparing apples and oranges here. DirectX is an API, Java is a language. You can use DirectX from Java via native modules, and even through the Volatile Image API introduced in the last version of Java.

As far as age goes, Java is actually older than DirectX But that''s neither here nor there. The reality is the DirectX API will most likely still be here 5 years from now in one form or another, as will the Java language.

quote:

Pros for Java
I love the wireless game programming thing, I really want to explore the possibilities, but Java is still not a standard in that area, and there''s no telling which programming language will win that fight

I''m not up on statistics, but Java is making a pretty strong showing in the wireless/embedded markets, which is what it was initially designed for. Regardless, does a language really need to be a ''standard'' to use? I don''t think so. I also don''t believe there is such a thing as a standard when it comes to languages. Maybe standard as in ''most common'', but not standard as in ''official-use-this-or-else''.

quote:

Cons for Java
Its slow, and I want to build fast games, games that I can show my friends and they ask me if I downloaded it or I really made it

Hoping to avoid a flame war - the java is slow Myth is just that these days - a myth. The early JVMs did put out suboptimal performance, but today Java is more than suitable for games. You can find several examples across the internet in applets & applications both 2D and 3D.

However, the second half of your sentence touches on what I think is Java''s biggest weakness right now - distribution. Getting your game out there to people relies on them having a JRE, and downloading it if not. Even if you compile to native code your players may still need to download the JRE.

quote:

Help, someone, I''d love to do both, but I dont want to try to learn too much at one time, especially since I''ve taken up internet programming again, and I''m getting ready for school in september, this is the summer when I want to get really good at something

I can tell you I use Java professionally for web application development, and I''m pleased with the reduced development time and the overall performance. However, for my gaemes I stick with C/C++. My reasons are not related to performance. As much as I really want to use Java for games, I just have issues with distribution.

For freeware titles (even commercial titles on a CD - you can setup the jre during installation), or just for experience, I see no problems with developing in Java. But, if you want to go the shareware route, be aware that there are several pitfalls in getting your game out there to people.

quote:
Cons for stayin with DirectX
Its getting old, Java is new, what will the market look like 5 years from now

A lot of things can, and will, happen in 5 years. My guess is that most mobil phones and handheld computers in 5 years are as powerfull as todays computers, at least. ( 3Ghz Cpu, 1GB RAM, 3D accelerator, 100 Gb diskspace and so on..)

I think that means that game programming in the future will be very like to the gameprogramming we have today. At least the Render/Music/Hardware part of it. (i.e. direct x api like..)

The multiplay part is anther story but that part will also have some generic api.

quote:

Pros for Java
I love the wireless game programming thing, I really want to explore the possibilities, but Java is still not a standard in that area, and there''s no telling which programming language will win that fight

Microsoft really will get into that part of the market too. .NET technology and C# will be a part of the wireless gamemarket in the future (since Microsoft is a very huge company). So I don''t think Java ever will be a complete standard for wireless development..

I''ve tried to start with some development for nokia phones with Java once, but it was to unstandardised. Every phone has it''s own SDK.. so I hope direct X will be a standard soon

Thanks alot guys, It looks like i''m going to be alloting more time to C/DirectX programming this summer, but I still need Java for school in september, so i''m going to work on it, but at a lesser degree, only thing I need to do now is figure out a way to get Andre Lamothes new book on 3D programming, I really liked the first book, thanks all, and I promise not to say anything that could cause a flame war again, not intentionally anyhow