Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can flash and COM play nicely?

This topic is 5306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible for a flash program to access a com dll, or even a standard C++ dll, for all my game logic? Maybe someone who knows java script might be able to answer this, since actionscript is so similar to javascript. If it is possible does anyone know how of any tutorials, or articles on this? Also, will I notice a major gain in speed, if I port my code back to C++ from Actionscript?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Flash applets are made to be run on multiple platforms. I think it would be a security risk if flash programs could access dlls. It would also make them dependent on windows.

Is there any other methods to increase the speed of my flash project? I have been running bench marks on a game that was written in C++/DirectX and then converted to flash. It is agonizingly slow in flash.

BTW: It's a card game, no crazy 3d stuff going on.

[edited by - modena_au on June 3, 2003 8:48:11 AM]

Tone down your graphics? Or maybe check your algorithms and use less CPU intensive, and less accurate, calculations?

After all, ActionScript (Flash's scripting language) is 100% interpreted, AFAIK, and it crawls on some very basic things, like string parsing.

I suppose you are using Flash so you can display it on the web (it's a port from a C++ game, right?). Maybe you should consider other options, like using MM Director or Java. In both cases you'd have more then enough speed for a card game. There's also WildTangent, that allows you to make your game in C++ and playback them using their plugin, but if it's a commercial project, their licensing fees can be pretty draconian...

[edited by - M3d10n on June 3, 2003 3:31:06 PM]

depending upon how you intend to deploy your flash movie you might want to consider the option of capturing events generated from flash in your external application. the flash activex control can produce an event based on the "fscommand" which you could use to make method calls in your external app.