Full Sail opinions

Started by
24 comments, last by SpaceRogue 20 years, 10 months ago
I'm considering applying at Full Sail, and am interested in any opinions, thoughts, complements, or warnings anyone might have. I'm serious about this and do have the funds for tuition, but it would mean moving my family a long way so I'm hesitant. Specifically, how good is it? How respected is it in the industry? Will it REALLY increase my chances of getting into the industry? Thanks in advance everyone. [edited by - SpaceRogue on June 2, 2003 6:04:54 PM]
Advertisement
I''m about half way through my Game Design degree at FullSail, and I wrote a pretty big segment about it a few months ago, if you care to read it, you can find it at

http://www.gametutorials.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5553&SearchTerms=Full,Sail
- John Moses
I have an online friend who goes there. He really encouraged me to go too. He told me that in the game industry its no secret, full sail comes first. Is it true? =P
quote:Original post by jmoses
I''m about half way through my Game Design degree at FullSail, and I wrote a pretty big segment about it a few months ago...

I read it, thanks. So, has your opinion changed any in the intervening time?

Do you have any idea how good their assistance is at finding jobs for graduates? Their site seems to really promote this aspect of the college as being quite strong, but I''d like to hear from someone a little less potentially biased than the college itself.

I''ve requested more information from Full Sail, but I''m impatient.

Ah...one other question.

How easy (or insanely difficult) would it be to attend Full Sail and work a full-time job simultaneously?
From what I''ve heard, it''s not possible.
Damn, I was afraid of that.

I can aford to go, but I definitely cannot afford go a year without working. My kids would starve.
I got the package they send you when you request info. It''s pretty flashy and is full of bragging rights (they have an interview with the man who programmed Yoda''s cape, who happened to graduate from FullSail), but it really doesn''t give you much information at all about the classes and what you''ll be learning. It seems like a good program, especially after seeing some of the demos made by the students. But I don''t know; there''s something fishy about a school in California that teaches "game design" in two years...

Btw, there is going to be $4,000 increase in tuition in a short while, so if you''re gonna apply, do so soon.

Also, there is a site offering FREE game programming classes over the internet. It''s a really interesting concept: you sign up, download material to read every week or so, take regularly schedualed tests, and then pass an exam at the end of the semester. I can''t understand why anyone would do this for free, but I would reccomend googling for it and trying this before you spend tuition and move to California; who knows, you may change your mind about this whole programming thing, or you may actually learn something.
I can imagine a world without hate, a world without fear, a world without war. And I can imagine us attacking that world, because they would never expect it. -Jack Handy
quote:Original post by Rian
there is a site offering FREE game programming classes over the internet.

where is that?
"Hello World!!!"
Ok I read over the thread you posted and this section really caught my eye.

quote:Originally posted by Jmoses

Oh yeah and one other big turn off for the school is that it hasd a population of 95% males!!! We call the school Full-Male cause the only way you'll get a chick is somewhere else, even the ugly chicks in our school are booked, heh. Can't wait to go home for spring break ;-)

All I can say is omfg! Please tell me he's joking. I had considered attending a school like FullSail and I don't mind having to endure all the hardships that Jmoses mentioned (like working 24/7, difficult C++ classes, etc.) but this has got to be the biggest discouraging factor out of them all. Sounds worse then the military... All I can say is that would be a sad life to lead (assuming your not already married that is )

[edited by - Greatwolf on June 2, 2003 11:23:10 PM]

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement