Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Motherboard Questions

This topic is 5307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I've been looking into upgrading my graphics card. Now, I have a Dell Dimension 8100. I have not upgraded anything. My question is, does the dell-issued motherboard support AGP? If so, what version? If it doesn't what all would I have to upgrade? I have opened my PC but I couldn't find any distinguishing marks. I couldn't find any information regarding the motherboard on the Dell support site. I currently have a GeForce 2 MX PCI (it says). I apologize for not taking this question to a hardware site, but the gamedev network has helped me greatly in the past. Any help would be great. Tim EDIT - Gamedev should have a hardware forum. =) [edited by - TThirion on June 2, 2003 6:14:52 PM]

Open the box, and look for the grayish-white pci slots. There should be about 4. Then look for one that looks like a PCI slot, except is black and shifted over a bit (it''s directly above the PCI slots). If it''s there, you have an AGP slot.

Yeah I have 4 PCI slots, and a black slot directly above
them and just to the right. However, my GeForce 2 is
currently in the slot and Windows is telling me that it''s
in PCI bus 1. Is this how the AGP slot is labeled?

Tim

Guest Anonymous Poster
there''s no geforce 2 mx that runs on pci or this is how I remeber but still agp is derived from pci windows 98 will show the agp slot as a pci slot .

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
there''s no geforce 2 mx that runs on pci or this is how I remeber but still agp is derived from pci windows 98 will show the agp slot as a pci slot .

That''s good to know, but there is a Geforce2 MX PCI.

It might be that you don''t have correct motherboard drivers installed. If you check the settings for the card (display settings/advanced/card settings) it should say what bus the card is operating on. If this says PCI or AGP(PCI) and the card is in the AGP slot then its a distinct possibility that you don''t have the correct drivers installed. You should be able to download drivers specifically for your model of PC from the Dell support site. As always though, be sure you know what you''re doing, especially when installing stuff like motherboard drivers. Not as bad as flashing the bios, but can still knobble windows all too easily.

This may or may not help, but it will mean that the card in the AGP slot is treated as a true AGP card.

"I apologize for not taking this question to a hardware
site, but the gamedev network has helped me greatly in
the past.

Any help would be great."

I''m glad this site is of help to you but please realize that this is a development forum. There are plenty of sites out there that deal with the sort of problem your dealing with. You could try the nvidia or ati sites. www.rage3d.com has a good hardware forum or even the general discussion forum here would be better. Sharkyextreme has a great forum section and has one specifically on motherbords: http://www.sharkyforums.com/

google search:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=Dell+Dimension+8100&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

I don''t mean to be mean and i''m not trying to, but if more and more people start doing this then this site will really go into the crapper. I''ve actually notecied less and less traffic on this forum and less and less interesting posts (over the last few months). I guess while i''m at it, I suggest that people try using the search for some of the commonly asked things (such as cameras, object selection..etc). Please this is not a flame, I''m just trying to be constructive and look out for the best interest of this site.

" Gamedev should have a hardware forum. =)"

I have to dissagree, this is a game development site and a hardware forum would be out of the scope of this site. Unless it focused on hardware development for games.

Sincerely,

Wes

It was a simple question.

I found my answer thanks to fellow gamedev'ers.

Your forums will be fine.

[edited by - TThirion on June 2, 2003 12:05:34 AM]

quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
Umm, what's so bad about hardware questions on gamedev? I'll agree with you when you develope a game without a computer.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

If you see the image I am online

As I said, there is nothing wrong with a hardware forum if it is directly related with development, but i really think a general hardware forum is outside the scope of this site. Would you got to a general hardware forum and post and opengl programming question ?

quote:
TThirion
It was a simple question.

I found my answer thanks to fellow gamedev'ers.

Your forums will be fine.

my points is: maybe next time use one of those forums instead of the opengl programming forum. Thanks

forum rules:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=25

[edited by - _walrus on June 3, 2003 8:36:08 AM]