• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BattleGuard

Career in Game-dev???

This topic is 5617 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, we all know that all of us here are intersted in Game programming, but I have no idea how many of us want to have a career in Game-dev. So I just wanted to ask you, how much does the average game-programmer make??? And is this the kind of programming that pays most, I mean I have a lot of other options I just wanted to know which one is the best!!! BattleGuard Whenever I try to find a better signature than this... Well, I can''t... This is it, Sorry...

Advertisement
It depends on the job title as with most things
If you are experienced and have a job as a lead programmer than you should expect large amounts of cash ! If your starting out then think much lower.

Its the same as with other industries and business models.

There are defintely other programming jobs that pay better, database programming for one !

Ant
>

Well, what is I make my own games, and sell them with a publisher??? And no I will not become a database programmer, my dad is an administrator, and it is not FUN at all...

BattleGuard

Whenever I try to find a better signature than this... Well, I can''t... This is it, Sorry...

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have heard e-commerce will make you the most money.
game programmers still make damn good money.
I wish my career was programming games.

Just wanted to put my two cents worth in here. I have been doing database programming, ecommerce, java/web related stuff since 1998 when I started with computers and actually making money at it. At first it is/was cool and fun because something new was always coming out and I was learning new stuff.

Now it is old and boring. The industry is falling apart and corporate jobs suck because you never know when may be your last day because your job is being offshored to some place like India or China or some other place because the CEO has decided it is not only cool, but can save the company money.

Office politics suck big time and it seems that the e-commerce type jobs tend to attract little, back stabbing, weenie know it alls that have nothing else in life but to memorize technical books.

If you are getting into this field ( computers in general ) for the money. Get out! This isn''t the field anymore. IT was fun while it lasted, but some newbie commanding a salary of 70K just cuz you know HTML will never, ever happen again.

Get into this field because you like computers, solving problems, making computers do things, being creative . . . in other words if you are coming into this field for the money - that''s the wrong reason.

Things may not be that way in the game industry. I don''t know. I am just beginning to learn game programming because of the boring day to day life that is provided by my day job ( database administrator/ programmer ). I imagine that as most game companies are corproate entities, they probably are somewhat similiar.

Sorry for the long rant/post. But like I said, I had to put my two cents in.

JIm

Lets see..

Game industry compared to IT..

Old days better than today? Check!
Fewer jobs, with more moving over seas? Check!
CEOs driving companies into the ground? Check!
Office politics? Check!
Backstabbing? Check!
Easy money gone? Check!
70k salaries for newbies? Don''t know if that was ever the case. Depending on where you are, senior guys may be lucky to make that.

All in all, don''t get into this industry for the money or fame. Its an entertainment industry with all the hard work/instability with none of the glamour. Get into games because you are passionate about making them and are willing to make sacrifices, make less money, and work hard.

All that said, I love it. I found a company that treats me reasonably well, pays me decently, and is good at staying in buisness.

Average salary for a mid-level programmer writing financial applications in New York City is around 80-90K. The average salary for a mid-level game programmer is a little over half that amount.

Me, I prefer to do the former for a living and the latter in my spare time. :-)

Guest Anonymous Poster
damn I want to be a mid-level programmer writing financial applications in New York City

I currently make about 20k Canadian a year doing tech support and I barely have enough money for anything.

80k US money would be so pimpin

Please die. All people expecting to make fortunes in game development must die. Please be miserable. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!