Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Player colors in a texture

This topic is 5308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Lets say I have a 3D model that is common to each player in my game. The only difference is that parts of the model are the player''s color: Red, Green, Blue, or Orange. I could create four textures, each with one of the above mentioned colors but that seems wasteful. Seems like there should be an easy way to re-use one texture but tell D3D to render certain pixels using the current player''s colors. I tried using a material but that influences the entire model, not just the parts that should be changed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I suspect it will be one of the render states that deals with color or alpha blending but I''m still a bit new to this. Thanks in advance, LEJ

Separate your meshes in 2 subsets each so you can use 2 diferent materials on a single mesh.

I hope it helps you.

KaM1KaZ3

Hmmm, that''s good to know for a future project but I should have mentioned one item that will probably make a difference.

The object in question is a playing card. The cards are exactly the same except for a semi-circle in the upper left and lower right corners. So, I''m not actually using a mesh. It''s such a simple object that I''m just using a 2-sided quad. In reality I could make four textures containing all the cards for each of the four colors and it wouldn''t take too much memory. But I wanted to know the most efficient way for my own education.

Any other approaches anyone would like to offer would be appreciated as well, the more I learn the better.

Thanks,
LEJ

Guest Anonymous Poster
You could put the circle in the alpha of the texture, then blend with a small texture, or the material color (assuming you aren''t doing lighting), or TFACTOR (assuming you aren''t targetting RagePro type cards).