• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

russian-bear

How do i make my app stop working after x days ?

This topic is 5614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, How do i make myapp only work for x days, like a sharewhare tryout period? Alot of softwhare / demosoftwhare get their protection removed by hackers, is there no way to avoid that? < There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! >

Advertisement
on windows you could store a value somewhere in the registery (and not remove it if your app has an uninstaller). You would increase this value each time the day of the system changes. If it''s 30, don''t run. Of course when the user starts changing his system date this will make your app quit even sooner, but that''s HIS problem.

note: this is a very lame thing to do.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by sysmark
note: this is a very lame thing to do.

Yeah, making viruses is always lame.

I recommend you do a limitted to 30 runs thing, store it as a binary file, in the reg and in another file somewhere else. IF they are different, the trial expires...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Still child''s play to crack though with a decent debugger.

Putting data in files / registry keys that are not removed on uninstall is evil. It''s also pointless - the cracker need only have regmon and filemon, and you''re screwed.
Most schemes can easily be cracked by any fool with a debugger. If you want to slow ''em down a bit:
- hide+encrypt your strings
- multiple (inlined) checks, scattered throughout the code
- DON''T immediately crap out - wait, tell the user indirectly (FFS, not another "Trial period over" MessageBox)
- hide the install date in important program data
- do the check in an unrelated, critical subroutine - if the cracker NOPs the call out, boom.
- make ''em look like a fool: either one simple protection, and another that isn''t immediately triggered, or send different versions of the app to each user (so that a patch is difficult).
You get the idea.

corrput the install program when the installation is done. Then when x dayes have passed corrupt the exe. And on webpage have a realy bad connection. but offcource you can make a cpy of the installaprogram. humm dident work.

make a realy big installation file with lots of crap. so no one can have two copies of the install program.

make a webpage with special keys sent to an emailadress. And you cant register more than one key for each email. You cant stop this, you can only make it harder.

HAHA..... Leadorn your a funny guy !

quote:

- multiple (inlined) checks, scattered throughout the code

Wouldn''t that have inpact on performance ? I think thats easy to hack anyway.

quote:

- hide+encrypt your strings
- hide the install date in important program data
- do the check in an unrelated, critical subroutine - if the cracker NOPs the call out, boom.

Sounds intresting...

I haven''t seen any software so far that wasnt cracked. I meen there has been hardware locks and special protection software, all cracked...

< There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! >

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!