Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A C++ engine?

This topic is 5311 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m looking for a game, working game engine or animation engine written completely in C++ for a reference how to write a good engine ;_) It''s good it its source code is small and simple enough to understand. Best would be if it uses SDL ;_) tree data structures, linked lists, some XML etc. Can you give me an advice where to find such? Thanks!

quote:
Original post by Zibar
thank you I was already wandering why people don''t want to promote their work

Because you asked for source code that''s "small and simple" - no C++ game engine is small or simple.

quote:
Original post by spg
Look for Doom or Quake source on idsoftware.com

-- Steve --
Not C++. John Carmack has coded all his game engines in C up to this point (Doom III is in C++).

An interesting C++ engine (and one for which a lot of documentation is available) is the Half-Life engine. All you need is the Half-Life SDK (get it from Valve Software; search under Google), and a C++ compiler. You can see how games such as Counter-Strike work off the Half-Life engine, and the whole thing's written in C++...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You're Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on June 3, 2003 2:41:00 PM]

quote:
Original post by iNsAn1tY
An interesting C++ engine (and one for which a lot of documentation is available) is the Half-Life engine. All you need is the Half-Life SDK (get it from Valve Software; search under Google), and a C++ compiler. You can see how games such as Counter-Strike work off the Half-Life engine, and the whole thing''s written in C++...

Bear in mind that you don''t actually get the engine source code in the SDK, just the interface to it. There''s the possibility that Valve will release the full HL1 source when HL2 comes out, like iD did with their stuff.

Still, the interface alone is pretty inspirational...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

quote:
Original post by iNsAn1tY
Not C++. John Carmack has coded all his game engines in C up to this point (Doom III is in C++).

Insanity is right, I forgot about that.

-- Steve --