Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GameInstitue

This topic is 5307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello All, This is my first post. I have been writing software for embedded systems for 10 years. I have C++ knowledge, but very rusty. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the GameInstitue classes, the C++ class in particular. I am wondering if it is worth the $70. I have the Ivor Horton teach yourself VC++, but have been having a hard time doing that instead of Day of Defeat. :-) I have decided to try my hand at writing a game. Any feedback on GameInstitute would be helpful. Thanks, rallen911 (That''s Porsche 911, not 9/11)

It seems like a lot of the stuff in those courses can be found in books written by the faculty that teach them. Or you can just google up each of the topics and see what tutorials you find for free. GameInstitute seems kinda pricey to me. You can get pretty much the same interaction here at the GameDev forums.

I would agree that I can probably find the information for free. My main reason for considering the Game Institue is having more of a stake in the process. If I fork out $70 to take the class, I am more likely to ''attend'' the lectures, read the material, do the exercises.

My main problem is a character flaw in that I have trouble motivating myself to do that sort of stuff. Even though it is fun, I have already been writing software for a good part of the day.

Thanks for the feedback.

rallen911

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you need to be in the classroom environment then $70 bucks for a C++ class doesn''t seem that bad, given what colleges are charging per credit hour these days.

But seriously if you just have to be in a classroom, then I will be your teacher. Once you send me three easy payments of $9.99 class will begin.