Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VS .NET / VS 6

This topic is 5310 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m just getting back into DirectX after about a year off (school :/) I was using MSVS 6 back then. I had to get the .Net version because of some classes I was taking. My question is, can I use MSVS .NET the same way I did version 6 or do I have to reinstall it? If I can use .NET, will I be able to make the applications the same way or are there things I need to do to make them work. If I can''t use .NET, can both environments live in harmony together on the same machine? I will be following the "Programming RPG with DirectX" book. Thanks!

Hey I am as amature as you can get, but i did recently upgrade to VS.net from VC++ 6.0. You can still do all the same stuff you could in VS6.0, If you are using c++ your old code is now known as ''unmanaged'' C++. ''Managed'' c++ is .NETs way of being able to provide a single framework for multilple languages. But if you want to stick with the typical MFC/Win32API and DX you can still use the same code, just use it in an ''unmanaged c++ project''. The IDE has a lot of differences from what i had in VC++ 6.0 and VB 6.0. I didnt like it at first, but I have since gotten used to and and now I think I like it better.
Hopes this helps. Ask more questions if your still confused.

Thanks for the reply Thats good news. Now, to get back into the swing of C++. I just had a VB.NET course, a SmallTalk course, a programming languages course (FORTRAN, Algol, Pascal, LISP, all included) all in the same semester... overload, haha.