Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Network Options

This topic is 5310 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, this is my first time in this forum! I''ve read the article on the front page, which reviews some networking middleware products... I was wondering what the readers here might suggest for a server that must accept between 500 and 5000 players. The game doesn''t have the same latency issues as MMO''s, so I don''t believe it''s neccesarily bound to the same technologies as they are. Latency isn''t an issue because the game is completely strategic, allowing a lot of time for the player to consider his actions, and the actions of others. Is anyone even using DirectPlay at all? I haven''t toyed with it at all, but I get the impression it isn''t feasible for commercial server use? I''d appreciate advice from someone more experienced in this area. Thanks.

If I recall, DPlay makes you open a wide range of ports in firewalls. That might be an issue for some less tech-savvy gamers. Or not...

Since you say you don''t really care about latency, responsiveness and such, DPlay will probably do fine. Otherwise just use TCP via Winsock.