Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C++ Visual Studio 6.0 question

This topic is 5308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a project with 6 classes, each class has its own *.CPP & *.H file When I type "object." visual studio automatically pops up a box with the different public functions or public variables for "object". However, many times when adding another class to my project, when I type "NewObject." no little menu pops up.... Even though I have all of the include "classfile.h" . Does anyone know why that happens & what I can do? Thanks, -Pete

There are several reasons why that would happen:
1. The IDE hasn''t analyzed you new code yet.
2. There is a syntax error in your code.
3. There is a bug in Visual Studio.

It should definite work after you recompile with no errors.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Compile the program in visual studio first. The hint boxes will appear after the 1st compilation.

I think that was how i did it. It''s been a long time since i used visual studio.

I''m using MSVC++ 6.0 too and alot of times the pop ups just stop showing up after they''ve been showing up just fine. I have to quit MSVC and reload it which becomes annoyign after a while. I guess its just a silly bug in MSVC...oh wellz =[

AFAIK the completion stuff will break on most versions of Visual Studio (6, .NET, .NET 2003 in my experience)... and it won''t be the programmer''s fault. Sometimes VS just doesn''t play well with others.

You need to add the header file to the project and make sure it''s saved. Also you need to make sure that the code preceding the code you are typing are valid.

There''s other stuff that can go wrong.

Your mileage may vary.

Not-quite-on-topic: has anyone else noticed the intellisense breaking when you have an enum inside a class definition? I tried it the other day, and found that every member after the enum showed up as a global...