• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

singsongdingdong

What else do I need to know? Please help

This topic is 5526 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok first of all a small introduction. I have taken some c++ classes but only know stuff until pointers, classes, linked lists, thats it. Can you tell me what topics do I need to learn to make a good car racing game? I have gone through this site and found a whole lot of stuff to read. Unfortunately I havent found an attractive article on programming and what do I need to know. THank you in advance. SSDD PS I'll be a reghular to this forum and hopefully by the end of summer, I'll have a car racing game made. I want to make a hot car racing game for my girlfriend [edited by - singsongdingdong on June 4, 2003 1:12:58 AM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi singsongdingdong,

I think you know everything to make that game just go for it!

Cheers,
"no singing just programming"

thanks for the reply anonymous user. But I have seen people need knowledge of data structures. The thing is that data structures at my college is a course done after object oriented programming course. SO I need to be sure.

Also I got zilch knowledge about direct X, or any thing of that sort. All I know is what I have written above.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ok,

Sorry dindong.
My last post was a joke.

You need quite alot of things to make a "cool" racing game.
Programming IS algorithms and data structures so you need to practice on that.

And to make games you need some kind of graphics API, OpenGL or DirectX.

Get a beginners book on game programming or such and just practice practice and practice.

Cheers,

(Sorry for the anonymous but my passowrd isn''t working!)

Ok, NOT GOOD!

Data structures. shit, the name sounds scary. The text book I have has the last chapter entitled Exceptional Handling. It was from my object oriented prorgramming course. Hmm, ok so now I have to spend my summer burried in Data structures book. Hmm, ok we can try that out. No harm in learning anythin.

Another thing, which is better - DirectX or OpenGL? Are they the samething or different names.

Ok maybe thats a wrong question. How about this, "which is easier to learn?"

SSDD

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think OpenGL is easier to learn.

But generally, some like OpenGL some like DirectX.
There are lots of resources on both APIs.

You could also get some more "high level" game API.
I think there are APIs where you can make simple games by using some kind of script language.

Search the net!

/Cheers

Thanks bro. I actually started on Direct X now. I got an e-book online of Sams learn Direct X in 24 hrs. Plus I''ll get some other books as well.

Thanks for all the advice, mr anonymous :D

quote:
Original post by singsongdingdong

I want to make a hot car racing game for my girlfriend

[edited by - singsongdingdong on June 4, 2003 1:12:58 AM]

Aaaaaah, that''s sweet

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!