Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What else do I need to know? Please help

This topic is 5309 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok first of all a small introduction. I have taken some c++ classes but only know stuff until pointers, classes, linked lists, thats it. Can you tell me what topics do I need to learn to make a good car racing game? I have gone through this site and found a whole lot of stuff to read. Unfortunately I havent found an attractive article on programming and what do I need to know. THank you in advance. SSDD PS I'll be a reghular to this forum and hopefully by the end of summer, I'll have a car racing game made. I want to make a hot car racing game for my girlfriend [edited by - singsongdingdong on June 4, 2003 1:12:58 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi singsongdingdong,

I think you know everything to make that game just go for it!

Cheers,
"no singing just programming"

thanks for the reply anonymous user. But I have seen people need knowledge of data structures. The thing is that data structures at my college is a course done after object oriented programming course. SO I need to be sure.

Also I got zilch knowledge about direct X, or any thing of that sort. All I know is what I have written above.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ok,

Sorry dindong.
My last post was a joke.

You need quite alot of things to make a "cool" racing game.
Programming IS algorithms and data structures so you need to practice on that.

And to make games you need some kind of graphics API, OpenGL or DirectX.

Get a beginners book on game programming or such and just practice practice and practice.

Cheers,

(Sorry for the anonymous but my passowrd isn''t working!)

Ok, NOT GOOD!

Data structures. shit, the name sounds scary. The text book I have has the last chapter entitled Exceptional Handling. It was from my object oriented prorgramming course. Hmm, ok so now I have to spend my summer burried in Data structures book. Hmm, ok we can try that out. No harm in learning anythin.

Another thing, which is better - DirectX or OpenGL? Are they the samething or different names.

Ok maybe thats a wrong question. How about this, "which is easier to learn?"

SSDD

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think OpenGL is easier to learn.

But generally, some like OpenGL some like DirectX.
There are lots of resources on both APIs.

You could also get some more "high level" game API.
I think there are APIs where you can make simple games by using some kind of script language.

Search the net!

/Cheers

quote:
Original post by singsongdingdong

I want to make a hot car racing game for my girlfriend

[edited by - singsongdingdong on June 4, 2003 1:12:58 AM]

Aaaaaah, that''s sweet

quote:
Original post by Marjolein
quote:

Aaaaaah, that''s sweet

Yeah! Isn''t it! /aplaudes SSDD

Get the book OpenGL Game Programming. Although I am known to hate it, the theory it teaches is still good. It has you use OpenGL for rendering, and use DirectX for input, sound, networking, and so forth. To learn OpenGL, here is a good site:
NeHe Productions

Scott Simontis
Game Programmer in Training
Have a nice day!
Current Project: Learn DirectX

wow, such cool guys over here. THanks for your replies. Lets see how far I get with the book. So far its a lot of greek to me. But I'll sort it out somehow.

I just had a couple of questions out of curiosity

1)How the hell does c++ make a line of code where it can load jpegs and bitmaps and stuff ( by that I mean photo's)

2) And also how does c++ load music? Guys in my college make the course so boring that I thought c++ was a big waste of time. It somehow doesnt seem to be the case now, when I heard about game programming.

3)Direct X. Hmm, I know like some things about it but I didnt know that there is coding involved in it. Do you program in Direct X and if so, how do you integrate it with a c++ code. I guess the question is similar to asking how can you open a java file with c++.

Its great to be amongst such knowledgable people. Thanks for all your comments.

string a=("I want to make a hot car racing game for my girlfriend");

[edited by - singsongdingdong on June 4, 2003 1:55:11 PM]

Using directx is kind of like using the STL.

#include <string>

string name;

cin << name;

------

#include <d3dx8.h>

// Load the texture from file

if( FAILED( D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx( m_pd3dDevice, textureName.c_str(), D3DX_DEFAULT, D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DX_DEFAULT, 0, D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8, D3DPOOL_MANAGED,
D3DX_FILTER_TRIANGLE, D3DX_FILTER_TRIANGLE,
D3DCOLOR_ARGB(0,255,0,255), &info, NULL,
&texture ) ) )
{
m_Error.DebugError( "Could not create texture from file" );
return -1;
}

etc..it is just a bunch of functions and classes.

Ok singsong,

I think it''s quite obvious that you need to look at this from a more realistic point of view.

First you need to learn the basics of programming. Get a few beginners books and start with small projects just to get the hang of the language. C++ isn''t something you master after a short class at the university. It takes years of programming at a regular basis before you really master it. Second, game programming is one of the more challenging topics in programming. So this also takes alot of practice before you get any good at it. I''ve been programming for 17 years and still learn new stuff every day.

But I promise you (most here will agree with me) that when you get into programming it''s hard to quit!

Cheers,

dont worry, i havent done the basics of programming. i have taken two programming classes and at my college, it has the reputation of being the hardest class in the entire college. for these two classes, people drop out of college. I have seen seniors who are about to graduate taking freshmen programming classes cause they make them bloody hard.

The only thing I know upto is ineheretance. I need to study data structures. Its a course not in my major but a pretty descent course to study.

just to give you an idea of what kind of stuff we do in my class, here are the course websites.

cis.poly.edu/cs1114
cis.poly.edu/cs1124

thanks for all the comments and help guys. Looks like everyone here will nurture me to become a good programmer and game maker. .Thanks to you all, oce again

I''ll be answering some of your questions here:
DirectX is a general name describing a group of technologies seperated by their intended used. For example, DirectInput is for handling user input, DirectSound for sound effects etc.
From a code point of view, DirectX is just one big library that you link to and use its functions much the same way you do with Dll. It''s function is to allow you an abstract and optimized way of accessing hardware.
If you want to get started I suggest Andre Lamoth''s "Tricks of the game programming gurus". It is a bit outdated, but hey so are you
Another good book is "The zen of Direct3D game programming".

As for other required knowledge: Don''t let me discourage you, but making a good (or "hot" as u call it) racing game is a very tough thing. Did you consider buying her a diamond ring instead?!
Anyway, you need to have an excellent C++ skills, very good knwoledge of graphics API, good understanding of physics and some people that can help you with artwork and sound.
In other words, it is not likely (although not impossible) for a newbie to create a retail level game. These games have a team of 20 people working on the 24/7 for about 2 years.
You can start with a basic racing game and improve it with time as you gain more knowledge.
Good luck!

ok so I get more and more discouraging news by the day. But hey, I promise you guys, I will not give up. A promise is a promise and I will stand on it. If I cant make those Need for SPeed type games, I''ll make a simple one, but i''ll make something good that she''ll like.

THanks for all the help guys. I''m going back on books. Man I am going to have some summer.

quote:
Original post by Marjolein
quote:

Aaaaaah, that''s sweet

"Hey babey, you like my racing game? ... Huhuhu..."

ODE is a free physics engine that should get you going as far as racing games physics goes. but be warned, car racing games like burnout or gran tourismo are highly technical. ODE should have example of car physics modeling to help you out.

http://opende.sourceforce.net

there is also a nice rendering engines you can use if you''re not too good at programming APIs. Cube and Crystal space come to mind. Cube does a lot more than graphics mind you, and it''s mostly oriented towards first person shooters.

http://crystal.sourceforge.net/drupal/
http://wouter.fov120.com/gfxengine/

Also check out "The Physics of car racing series" by Brian Beckman.

http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/
http://phors.locost7.info/contents.htm