Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3D respresentation of a file... or "Movie GUI"

This topic is 5307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok lemme first say that I think my own idea is 80% pointless, but I want to try it anyway. I wrote a pretty darn good binary file editor. Obviously, the data is currently shown to you in a typical 2d fashion. I''ve been wanting to do some 3d coding that I won''t just throw away (I don''t have a team or any artists), so I''ve been trying to think how I could write some 3D stuff into my file editor. The editor is not a 3d model editor or anything... I typically open save-game files to cheat at games, or pack-files to find a good sound clip, or open an .exe to look for viruses (yes, I don''t use AV software). So... does ANYONE have any neat ideas I could try to implement to show all of those bytes from a file using a 3D presentation? Heightfields? Maybe not even show the raw data and show different types of funky statistic graphs?

Well, if you wanted to support multiple files open at once, you could have all the opened files layered up on top of each other, like sheets of paper (except spaced out a little)... then you could rotate the stack of "papers" around and click on various "sheets" to switch to different files...

I can't think of anything that could be done with a SDI-type of editor (only one file at a time)... maybe I'll think of something later

Oh, and I'm gonna correct something... You're idea is more like 90-95% pointless I love it

[edited by - BlabberBoy on June 4, 2003 1:43:41 AM]

> more like 90-95%

True! I think I underestimated the pointlessness!

Right now I can open multiple files at once, but only one is visible at once. I select which file to edit from a listbox to the left of the main editing area.

Multiple files on the same area using 3d could be fun... but my 2d rendering techniques are extremely optimized DrawTexts using the Fixedsys font (I display each byte as it''s ASCII graphic)... that might be tough to render onto a surface in 3d realtime...

I guess it would make more sense to use 3d to do some display of dirty data analysis. I currently have a side-by-side viewer for files that''s just like the ASCII display that uses each byte in the file for a colored image display (greyscale through 32 bit color)

Eventually I''m going to let users write load/save scripts for particular file formats... including bitmap rendering and sound playback. I could let people write a loader for 3d models and actually be able to let them check it out in 3d. (Warning! Pointlessness level decreasing!)

Pointlessness is not the issue. A friend of mine once had a program that would play you the first 16k of a file by treating the raw bytes as WAV data in some specific hard-coded format (like "11000 KHz, 8-bit mono", something like that, 16 kB comes out as a 1 or 2 second burst).

That same friend could identify Dos executables, Win32 executables, BMPs, and some other generic formats by the sound their headers made. And he probably memorized the sound of some specific text files he had...

"BBZZHEHFDAAAAAZZDDD!"
"Oh, hey, what was the filename of that one? I think it was my x86 interrupt code reference! I''ve been looking for that!"