Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Per Pixel Lights and Shadows

This topic is 5304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''d like to ask that before i actualy do it. I''ve done per pixel lighting and now i want to make shadows. What would be the better method (Shadow Volumes, Shadow Maps ,...) to use with per pixel lighting? The problem that seems to occur is that:"How can i put shadows in my engine and how this shadow can combine with the per pixel lighting"?. Thanks in advance.

Both shadow mapping and shadow volumes are equally easy to use with per-pixel lighting. Shadow volumes are simple because all you have to do is draw the scene with no lights enabled, then (for each light) draw the light's occluders (back and front), then draw the scene with the light enabled, ie. with the light's per-pixel components. Shadow mapping is even more simple. All you have to do there is (for each light) draw the scene with the light enabled in all it's per-pixel glory, then get the depth map from the light and blend it over the top of the scene.

btw, did that projective texture code I posted help at all?

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You're Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on June 4, 2003 12:40:11 PM]