• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pag

Whats is tan?

This topic is 5609 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I never had trigonometry in school, and well to be honest I never studied math very well at all. However now that I do alot of 3D programming it sure would be nice to know it all, heh or at least some of it... Anyways to the question, what is tan? I thought tan gave you the hypotenuse of cos(a) and sin(a), but it doesnt. [edited by - pag on June 4, 2003 2:38:33 AM]

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by pag
I never had trigonometry in school, and well to be honest I never studied math very well at all. However now that I do alot of 3D programming it sure would be nice to know it all, heh or at least some of it...

Anyways to the question, what is tan?
I thought tan gave you the hypotenuse of cos(a) and sin(a), but it doesnt.

[edited by - pag on June 4, 2003 2:38:33 AM]

sohcahtoa

s = sin
c = cos
t = tan
o = opposite
a = adjacent
h = hypotenuse

sin = opposite / hypotenuse
cos = adjacent / hypotenuse
tan = opposite / adjacent

or

tan = (opposite / adjacent) (1) = (opposite / adjacent) (hypotenuse / hypotenuse) = (opposite / hypotenuse) (hypotenuse / adjacent) = sin / cos

Make a right triangle, using a specific angle "a" for one of the non-90 angles. Tan(a) is the length of the side not touching (a) divided by the length of the side touching (a) and the 90 degree angle.

tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x)=

o/h o/h h o
---= --- * - = -
a/h a/h h a

where o is the opposite side to angle x and a is the adjacent side to x.

/|
h/ |
/ | o
/x |
----
a

doh, nuts. Mmmm... donuts
My website

[edited by - brassfish89 on June 4, 2003 2:21:22 PM]

quote:
Original post by karmicthreat
I thought tan(x) was defined as the slope of the line tangent to sin(x).

The slope of the tangent line to sin(x) is cos(x).

Your right, I don''t know what I was thinking. The derivative of sin is cos. But if you integrate tan you end up with -ln(|cos(X)|). So tan is just wack.

oke, thanks alot guys... However it would be nice with some examples of where this function is used. Like I know what cos and sin can be used for, but what about tan?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!