Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2D Engines... main line

This topic is 5311 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are the main purposes of a 2D Engine? What must it be able to do? It must be isolated from the game engine? What are the tricks to increase the engine speed?

quote:
What are the main purposes of a 2D Engine?

Well obviously it has to load the level and draw everything, but it should also handle collision detection, including placing/removing entities (i.e. enemies, bullets, etc.) into and out of the level.

quote:
What must it be able to do?

The above. Well, it must just do world loading and rendering, but I suggest putting the collision into it because collision requires working with the level data so the rendering engine should handle it IMO.

quote:
It must be isolated from the game engine?

It doesn''t have to be but it should be. Your 2D engine should be able to be used for pretty much any 2D game you care to make. The game engine will need to rely on the rendering engine, but not the other way around.

quote:
What are the tricks to increase the engine speed?

This can''t be answered like this. Write the engine, then worry about optimizations. Better yet, just read the billions of tutorials on 2D rendering with Direct3D/OpenGL (I''m assuming you''ll be using a 3D API for your rendering).

~CGameProgrammer( );