• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrantCrofton

[java] Java3D for Games

This topic is 5487 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey. I am currently working on a Quake-style first person shooter prototype using Java3D for my degree project, and I am trying to get people''s views on this technology. Java3D is a freely available API from Sun for use with Java, not to be confused with GL4Java (which is similar). It would be really helpful if anyone could answer the following questions: 1. Have you heard of Java3D before now? 2. Would you consider using Java3D for making a first person shooter? Why? 3. If you were considering writing a first person shooter, what technology (language/API) would you use, and why? Thanks. If anyone is interested, I will tell you what I found. Grant

Advertisement
1 I have heard of it, but haven''t given it much thought/haven''t used it enough

2 No, from what I have heard, its performance/features are lacking which make it unsuitable for an FPS right now.
Try some other time perhaps as there is still work done on Java3d

3 Try looking at LWJGL ( http://java-game-lib.sourceforge.net ), its a direct binding to OpenGL/AL and might thus be familiar

1. I have heard of Java3D
2. Java3D is currently quite slow relativly speaking. However it does have quite a bit of added stuff that can help to make development faster or easier (scene graphs, you jsut have to learn the different aproach)
3. For a FPS you would usually to looking for a highly detailed and complex environment, as such, java3d might be too slow for what you want. C++ with opengl/directX will probably give you the best preformance, however if you are going to be writing this
in java, I would recommend LWJGL or gl4java. This two APIs are, as far as I know (havn''t used gl4java), more of a direct interface for the 3d API, while java3d is a layer that adds functionality upon the lower graphics API. You pay heavily for this functionality.

1. Yep

2. No, because:
2.1: Its future is uncertain (SUN seems to have lost interest in it somehow)
2.2: I don't think that the API is well suited for games in general and for FPS in particular. I'm open for somebody to prove me wrong though.
2.3: I don't like the fact that it requires an additional installation. It should rather be part of the JDK.
2.4: I like my own API more

3. As said: My own stuff (http://www.jpct.net) with support for software AND hardware rendering via LWJGL. There i can add stuff that i'm missing without a problem.

BTW: I don't think that the comparision between LWJGL, GL4Java and Java3D is a valid one. That's like comparing a set of tools and some metal to a complete car. Java3D is a 3D engine, while LWJGL and GL4Java are tools to build one.

[edited by - EgonOlsen on June 4, 2003 5:32:50 PM]

1. of course. And i like it a lot.

2. If performances isn''t really an issue, i would definitely go for j3d.

3.It''s quite a question of what sort of fps is targetted. For high-performance ones, it would be risky to go for java3d and anything java at all (LWGL or not). To be sure, i would go on with C# or vb.net using managed directX.

There are many things said about java3d, among them are many thoughts or pre-made ideas. It''s up to you to separate facts from "ideas". Personnally, i love the way the api is made, i haven''t seen any other api so well structured yet. Even managed directX 9 is far away. The dark side is however a lack of performances. (but i personnally think this depends much on java itself and it''s JIT compiler/interpreter and other external dependancies... this is a thought, not a fact :-P)

cheers

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!