Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

god damn crash

This topic is 5311 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Every time i try to lock the index buffer my programe crashes heres how i create my buffer d3dDevice->CreateIndexBuffer(65535*sizeof(short),D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC,D3DFMT_INDEX16,D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &Buffers[CurrBuffer].NodeIB); Heres how i try to lock the buffer Buffers.NodeIB->Lock(0,0,(BYTE**)&Buffers[i].ind,D3DLOCK_DISCARD); Heres the Buffers typedef struct LandScapeBuffers { LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE8 NodeTexture; LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER8 NodeVB; int NumVertices; LPDIRECT3DINDEXBUFFER8 NodeIB; int NumIndices; unsigned short *ind; int NodeRef; }; I can see any problems but then again im good at debuging other people code but not my own

The first thing you should do is to install the debug version of DirectX and set the debug output level as high as it goes in the DirectX control panel app. Then run you applicaiotn in the debugger and DirectX will usually give you some clues as to what is going on. (i.e. Your index buffer is out of range)

Maybe your Index Buffer isn''t getting created. Are you checking if the CreateIndexBuffer call fails? If not you should be.

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

Guest Anonymous Poster
"The first thing you should do is to install the debug version of DirectX and set the debug output level as high as it goes in the DirectX control panel app."

HOW do I accomplish this in DX9??

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
"The first thing you should do is to install the debug version of DirectX and set the debug output level as high as it goes in the DirectX control panel app."

HOW do I accomplish this in DX9??

umm, I am not sure but I think you should install the debug version of dx9, and in the control panel app of the sdk you set the debug output as high as it goes.

You should be able to run the directx control panel application and set it from there. There is a radio button group that allows you to set the retail or debug version. Also set the debug output slider all the way up (to the right).

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

Guest Anonymous Poster
I can''t find the direct x control panel, that''s it..

It isn''t in the windows control panel as before. Doesn''t say anything in the docs, help?

Guest Anonymous Poster
http://www.softrom.net/download.asp?id=2326&op=5

Guest Anonymous Poster
For some reason, I can''t even TOUCH the debug slider in the Direct3D or DirectInput tab EVEN THO i have installed the DEBUG RUNTIME

why is this? direct sound tab is working

OK that sounds like you may have installed the DirectX 9a retail runtime. If you go to the Microsoft DirectX site and download the DirectX 9a SDK debug runtime you wil get the application back in your control panel. If is still isn't working maybe you should try downloading the full DirectX 9a SDK and install it from scratch.

I had the same problem where the debug radio button and debug slider was greyed out in the control panel applet but as soon as I installed the DirectX9a debug runtime I got the functionality back.

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

[edited by - yzzid on June 4, 2003 1:39:16 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Actually it didn''t. I install the debug runtimes but nothing changes in the panel. Still grey! Rebooted, still grey. Now this is weird.

I would suggest uninstalling the DirectX SDK and reinstalling the DirectX 9a SDK from scratch. This might get you your dialog back. What could be going on is you may have mismatched versions of the DirectX DLLs.

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern