Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Over The Air download

This topic is 5304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have recently read some of the articles about developing MIDLets, small java programs for cell phones. Interesting, sounds funny to play around with. But how do I transfer my midlet to my phone?. I don''t want to buy the data cables. I want to place my MIDLet on some server and have my phone download it. But how do I do this?. Could I just but the jad and the jar file on my own apache server and punch the URL into the phone? Do I need to run a special server?. Are there any such servers on the net which I can use for free?. I''ve googled a bit around but couldn''t find anything answering my questions. I hope some of you brilliant minds can :-)

thanks.. this is great and all but I am uncertain about something. Where does the WAP gateway comes into place? is this something that I can ignore? I mean is it something the user who wants to download my midlet uses in his wap config on his phone? or is it something I need to have installed?. Can I simply add the mime types for jad and jar to apache. Create a small html or wml file containing links to the jad files of my midlets and punch and URL like: http://myserver.net/downloads.html into my phones wap browser?

sorry but I don''t know anything about WAP :-)