• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Briskon

Looping a map.

This topic is 5620 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering is there an efficient way to implement a looped tile based map, say for a 2D side scroller:
for (int i = start_map_y; i <=  end_map_y; i++)
{
	for (int j = start_map_x; j <= end_map_x; j++)
	{
		int cellx =  j%num_cols;	
               	cells[cellx].xpos = offset_x;
		cells[i][cellx].ypos = offset_y;

what i''ve been doing is "%"ing the column tiles so after say, 40 tiles have been scrolled, it uses the first tile again. That % in the inner loop though, hardly helps the frame rate. Does anyone know a better way of doing it or is this the standard procedure?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by keethrus
an if statement is going to be quicker than a % calculation.

quite the contrary. an if statement is branching, and branching hurts performance.

To the original poster: don''t worry about the % in the inner loop. Unless you''re doing it per-pixel (which you shouldn''t) AND you''re on something like a J2ME phone or Gameboy, the cost is negligible.

Basing optimization strategies on 8-year old TXT files about 386 assembly is not a good idea.

Additionally, if ''num_cols'' is a power of 2, you can use
int cellx = j & (num_cols - 1);

instead. Its only a bitwise AND, it''s much faster than a MOD.

Waramp.

"Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, when you do insult him, you''ll be a mile away, and you''ll have his shoes."

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!