Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Programming RPG with DirectX ( DX 9 code )

This topic is 5289 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In an older post Mr. Adams mentioned a DirectX 9 version of his engine code he was going to release when his book was done. Has that happened? When I search on this forum, I get errors, so I apologize if this is a repetitive post. Thanks, Paladin

Yeah, I THINK I can do it, but it was mentioned by Jim in the past that he would is the only reason I''m asking. Probably a good idea to learn by doing it myself. I guess I can start asking questions if I get stuck.

Thanks for the link.

Sorry everybody - I''m still here, just been working 14 hours a day for the last week. I should have more time to look over the messages this Monday. As for the DX port, I still want to do so, but time is very tight for me now.

I have been working on updating the code from the book to DirectX 9 but hit a road block when I got to the skinned mesh part. This area of the API has been radically changed between releases 8 and 9. Maybe Jim''s new book will help but I haven''t seen it available anywhere yet.

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

quote:

Jim - What''s happening with your animation book?
It seems to be finished, but I pre-ordered it 3 months ago still no sign of it.

It shipped May 22nd - I just got my copies earlier this week Anybody that ordered it should have it this week I believe.

The new book does show the new interfaces for skinned meshes.

Jim,

I managed to take some time today and update your RPG Book code to DirectX 9. All the demos seem to work now. If you would like me to send it, so you can use it, let me know.

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

[edited by - yzzid on June 16, 2003 3:08:06 PM]

quote:
Original post by Jim Adams
quote:

Jim - What''s happening with your animation book?
It seems to be finished, but I pre-ordered it 3 months ago still no sign of it.

It shipped May 22nd - I just got my copies earlier this week Anybody that ordered it should have it this week I believe.

I got mine from Amazon on June 10th. Haven''t had time to do much more than skim through it yet, though. From what I''ve seen, the book looks awesome.

Well, it only took me about 10 minutes to convert a majority of the graphics core to DirectX 9. The other systems (input, sound, and networking) haven't changed from DirectX 8 to 9. The only stumbling block was the skinned meshes and animation. Microsoft changed a lot of features in this area of the API. It took me a few hours to figure it out and I still am not convinced that my mods are correct. But they do seem to produce the correct results. Also, I would rather not email it but give it to Jim and have him distribute it from his site since I have no way of verifying who bought the book and who didn't.

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

[edited by - yzzid on June 17, 2003 6:31:00 AM]

Jim,

I just received your new Advanced Animation book last
Sunday (June 15) all the way here in Malaysia. ^_^ Looks
awesome - just have to figure out how to integrate it into
your first RPG engine though. ^_^

I noticed that you mentioned your new website at
www.collectiveminds.com in the appendix but the site only
has a flash intro. Am I missing something?

When I was going through all the source and updating it, it appears that the debug version is the only one set up for each project. So what I did was go through and make all the changes so the release build can be made also. When I did this I noticed that there is a problem in the input system. Not sure what it is but in the MeshLvl sample if you build the release version and move the mouse the key states all get set. Not sure why this is happening as they are two separate objects.

There is definitely some wierd optimization thing going on here. When I checked the value of BufferSize in the InputDevice::Read function they were all 0!! Must be something to do with the optimizer. When I made the variable static the values were OK. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

[edited by - yzzid on June 17, 2003 11:32:09 AM]

quote:
Original post by yzzid
When I was going through all the source and updating it, it appears that the debug version is the only one set up for each project. So what I did was go through and make all the changes so the release build can be made also. When I did this I noticed that there is a problem in the input system. Not sure what it is but in the MeshLvl sample if you build the release version and move the mouse the key states all get set. Not sure why this is happening as they are two separate objects.

There is definitely some wierd optimization thing going on here. When I checked the value of BufferSize in the InputDevice::Read function they were all 0!! Must be something to do with the optimizer. When I made the variable static the values were OK. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

[edited by - yzzid on June 17, 2003 11:32:09 AM]

The last time I had problems with Input in Jim''s engine
was because of the char type for all his input variables.
Changing them to unsigned char solved the problem but I am
not sure if this is your problem as well.

chars and unsigned chars are the same size in memory. I don''t think that is what is causing the problem but you never know with Microsoft''s compiler. Not sure why a local variable isn''t get set correctly in release but is in debug. I have never seen that happen before!

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

Sherman,

Sorry. You were right. I didn''t understand what you were saying.

The input parameters to the GetKeyState and GetPureKeyState should be unsigned chars instead of plain chars. I noticed when I ran through te debugger that they were getting negative values. Not good. I''m not sure why the debug version works and the release version doesn''t though. I guess Jim only built the debug versions for the book.

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern