Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting In

This topic is 5306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Back when I was a little younger all my friends wanted to play football for England and spent most of their time playing football down on the reck. While they were doing this I was playing Outrun and Street Fighter 2 in a seedy little back street arcade frequented by drug addicts and other low lives. Well I don''t know about them but today my dream came true, from Monday I am a PS2 programmer working at a very reputable UK developer. The reason I am writing this post is not to brag (well maybe a little) but to tell people some things that I always wanted to know about exactly what skills you need to get on the first rung of the ladder. I am 24. I have a degree in softwrae engineering (1st class, just). I have never used Direct3D but my OpenGL skills are strong along with my general programming skills. I am not a mathematical genius but i have worked very hard on my maths over the past 6 months (My math limits are round about ray / plane intersection and point in tri level). I made a quake 3 rip off demo that wasn''t as good as quake 3 to take to my interview. I read a lot and buy lots of books from Amazon. I don''t use internet tutorials cause i think that they nearly all pale when put next to a genuine paper copy of something that has been developed by a proffesional writer / coder. There like I say the reason I have posted this is because I would always have liked to know peoples skill levels when they got into the industry and I have seen other people ask the question many times. Live The Dream !