Blitz3D

Started by
5 comments, last by seanzerozero 20 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I''ve always been interested in game design/development but have never had to patience to learn some of the intricacies of C++. I''ve taken lotsa programming classes but I just don''t get it after a point. I found blitz3D (www.blitzbasic.com) and was wondering if anyone here has used it? Is it easier than learning C++? I''m not too concerned with creating games with bleeding edge graphics. I am more interested in creating action/adventure games that focus on gameplay (y''know what makes games fun). Basically I''d like to know if Blitz3D is worth the 100 bucks they ask you to throw down or if I''d be better off hooking up with a programmer to work on games. Thanks in advance to all who read/respond to this post. I appreciate any and all information. Sean
Advertisement
Blitz basic is easier and quicker than learning C++, but you won''t be able to get quite as good results. Personally I highly recommend Dark Basic (www.darkbasic.com), which is really quick and easy to use, you can get 3D running from scratch very easily (within minutes), leaving you to concentrate on the gameplay . Dark Basic is £20 off amazon.co.uk, and the newer version Dark Basic Pro is about £50.
Thanks for the info.

Just a quick question: what game would you compare something created with darkbasic with graphics-wise?
Hey,

I use blitz quite often. It is really easy and nice syntax Try the demos of both db and b3d and decide which one suits u best. If u choose blitz you can visit:

www.blitzcoder.com a excellent resource,

on irc channel blitzed

#binarypeople
#blitzbasic
#blitzcoder
#blitzradio every once in a while they have a dj who plays

Hope this helps.
I wouldn''t consider Blitz to be a BASIC language. I use it a lot, and with a conversion to DX9 on the horizon, it''ll become even more powerful. I tried the DBPro demo, and had thousands of bugs within minutes. But with B3D, I''ve used it for a year now, and not one single crash involving it.
that''s what beginner programmers shoudl use, if they have some spare cash. Either DarkBasic Or BlitzBasic 3D is great to learn games programming. It does everything for you. After that, you can start to have a go at C++ and DX9 or OpenGL. Well, even learning C++/OpenGL wil cost you some money if you want to do it properly. Books ain''t cheap.

Everything is better with Metal.

I haven''t tried Dark Basic but I have bought Blitz3D. Its 2D support is undesirable but the 3D part of it is awesome. It takes seconds to make a quick 3D world. Definitly play around with the Castle demo that comes with it. It features character animations and heightmap stuff. Adding models and such is really easy.

The language is almost indentical to Visual Basic. If you know any VB then you can program in Blitz.

Dont buy BlitzPlus or 2D. They blow. Stick with Visual Basic if you are doing either of these.

I haven''t had time to learn C++ so I have nothing to compare it too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement