• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Linked List How do i do it ?

This topic is 5466 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For the life of me I can not seem to grasp linked list I have been learning C on unix for the past couple months I have finally got a good grip on the syntax, arrays, strings, structures and most of the Posix API, I just cant seem to figure out how to write a singlar linked list adding nodes and steping through each node referencing elments if anyone here rememeber how they finally grasp the concepts of link list please share them here thanks. I think I have a good idea on why there need but I could never code one External tutorials/links will really be appreciated thanks again. I have seen dozens of tutorials but most seem to jump from pretty basic to very complex, anyone here knows a very simple easy to follow singlar linked list example. ? I know understand how to do pointers within structs I see alot of documentation reference that a linklist is better than using an array of structs ?? But I dont think I have ever done that maybe I should first figure out how to use array of structs ? is this an array of structs ? typedef struct { int age; }user_t; user_t *users[3]; <<-- I fully understand the following but not sure if this is what refs I read mean as array of structs ?

Advertisement
What you have there is an array of pointers to structs. This is not the same as a linked list!

A linked list requires that each item of the struct have a pointer to the next item, thusly:

struct WhatEver
{
float val;
int thing;
WhatEver *next;
};

To traverse a linked list, you use:

WhatEver *ptr;
ptr = pointer to first item in the list
while(ptr)
{
// do stuff with ptr
ptr = ptr->next;
}

The concept is basically that each item in the list keeps track of the next item. A doubly linked list is the same thing but each item has a previous pointer and a next pointer.

Hope that made some sense

@ApochPIQ:

Please note that the syntax you are using is C++ syntax. The following is illegal in C:

struct WhatEver
{
float val;
int thing;
WhatEver *next;
};

it should be instead:

typedef struct tagWhatEver
{
float val;
int thing;
struct tagWhatEver *next;
}
WhatEver;

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by TekBoy
@ApochPIQ:

Please note that the syntax you are using is C++ syntax.

[snip]

The typdef is unnecessary. This would be legal in C:

struct WhatEver
{
float val;
int thing;
struct WhatEver *next;
};

You would just have to refer to "struct WhatEver" everywhere (so the typedef is probably a good idea, just not required to be valid C code).

M.J.

Guest Anonymous Poster
pen and paper, make a diagram.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!