Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is 5307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I would like to have some explanation about the BSP file used for QUAKE maps. What is it ? Is it something equivalent to octtree alghoritms to speed up the rendering of large maps as well as for collision detection? Are there converters from maps made of 3ds objects to bsp? Is it legal to use Quake maps available on the net for coomercial games? thanks in advance

What a BSP is.
Yes, a BSP tree is used for (roughly) the same purpose as an octree: hidden surface removal, collision detection, etc. Read the above link for more info.
I''m sure you could find something to convert 3ds objects into Quake BSP''s if you looked. Try finding a Quake map editor that can import 3ds files, or a program that converts .3ds into .map and then yo can compile the maps with standard id Software tools (qbsp, light, vis, etc).
I do believe that it is not illegal to use Quake maps in a commercial game, but I could be wrong.

--Buzzy

BSP = Binary Space (Spatial) Partitioning . Binary stands for the determining of where something is using the terms left and right to the partitioning plane . Space is self explanatory , as well as Partitioning . So , it''s basically a way to locate where objects are.Using this info , further optimizations/actions can then be taken

And yes , you can use Quake map format as long as you don''t use id softwares tools to make them . For freeware projects , you are free to use them (and the tools offcourse).