Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadow Volumes

This topic is 5308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey I have working shadow volumes in game but from certain angles of view with the camera my framerate drops 50%. No idea why. With shadows disabled, It never drops in framerate. Its not because the camera enters the volume, but I can''t figure out what might be causing the issue. Any suggestions? -Vulcan

Guest Anonymous Poster
do you have a mode where you can actually see the extruded shadow volumes, like rendering them as wireframed or alpha blended?

one thing i found out after doing this is that there is "invisible fill rate" (i assume due to the filling of the stencil buffer for the inc and dec "runs" associated with these volumes, especially if you''re extruding to infinity and looking at a piece of the "invisible" volume from an angle that causes large sections of the stencil buffer to be tested/filled. and then i guess you get hit with this again on the final scene render when using the stencil buffer to darken the shadowed areas. maybe. i don''t know for sure but that appears to be what''s happening to me.

i was able to get rid of this problem for the most part by setting up bounding box cap planes in my scene graph so that the shadow volumes are only extruded as far as needed.