chunked lod.. more about it

Started by
12 comments, last by okonomiyaki 20 years, 10 months ago
Oh thank you thank you thank you!!
I got it working! Your right, I was making some stupid mistakes that are now obvious.
First of all, when you reposted my distance formula, I noticed that I was only adding the z1 and not multiplying it! I didn''t see that at all before...
quote:
I can''t see any reason for that line. In the paper ''dist'' is calacualted as you have in the first line. So try ditching that second line.

I took the distance subtraction out (that second line) and it worked as well but I think it''s a little more accurate with it. What I was trying to do was do a kind of spherical distance check, imagining the chunk to be bounded by a sphere, not a box. I calculated the distance from the center, and then that value was the radius (half of the width of the box) and I subracted it. That''s just another calculation though, and I don''t think it makes that much of a difference if I change around my screen space error tolerance to the right measure.

quote:
Looking at it, the second line appears more like the calculation for the LOD geo-error per level. That is if the chunk has a master error metric of say 16 units, then higher levels of LOD should have half the error value - so level 1 = 16 level 2 = 8 etc. I would have thought these values would have been precalaculated and stored with each level of LOD for the chunk

quote:
how do you calcualte each chunks maximum geometric error?

You are right!!
You pointed out one of the biggest errors. I interpreted the paper wrong, and I thought I had to store the maximum geometric error of each chunk, but I can easily get it with just pow(2, 4-level). Even better, store it in a lookup table. Why would this make a difference? I should have even more accuracy about each chunk if I stored its own maximum geometric error. But there was a problem in the way that I got that. I got it when I did the vertex-LOD calculation of each level, I simply checked the current error against the current max, and if it was bigger, set the max to the current. My problem was that when it was at the first level (2 triangles for the whole terrain, least LOD) it would set the maximum geo error very high and then recurse lower and it would still be high. This was a HUGE error and is why it kept recursing down to the most polys- it kept thinking each chunk had a HUGE geo error. Thank you so much noisecrime, you really hit it on the head and made me rethink this part.

quote:
So this means your FOV is 120 degrees - which to me is rather large, but there may be a good reason for it. Anyway it shouldn''t be the cause of your problems.

I think you are mistaken though on my Horizontal FOV.. It would be D3DX_PI/3 which would only be 60 degrees (180/3), not 120, correct?

quote:
I had almost asumed that perhaps you''d use the bounding box for a chunk comparing it against each LOD level. You''d be comparing the highest hieght of each LOD level to the maximum LOD (most polys) and using the difference as the error metric. But i''m not sure tat makes much sense.

I see what you are saying. That would work, but I think it''s more work than it takes. I said before how I did it in the first place (although it had a bug, it could be fixed to work correctly). But I don''t think you get much inaccuracy if you just go ahead and set the maximum error to pow(2, max_level-level); It''s easy, simply, could be put into a lookup table and you don''t have to worry about each chunk as long as you have the level of detail of the chunk.

quote:
Further more i''m confused by the paper as he say''s
''For simplicity''s sake, I assign the same E to all the meshes at a particular level in the chunk tree.''

where E = Maximum geometric error
This seams counter productive to me, as each child chunk could well have an error greater or less than an other.

It''s just what I was talking about in the last paragraph- it''s easy and accurate it go ahead and set every chunk in level N to have the maximum error of pow(2, max_level-level). If it recurses to the child chunk, the level would go higher and have a less max error. Don''t think of it as a tree this time and just think of the 5 (or whatever) different levels as separate, subdividing by pow(2, level) and each chunk having a max error of pow(2, max_level-level).

quote:
Furthermore his equaition for calculating the error for specific LOD levels, is simply to divide the parent level by two, which again I would have assumed to be inaccruate.

I hope you are thinking of the vertex-LOD calculation and LOD-level subdividing as two different steps. We calculate the LOD of the terrain witha max of, say, 16 and space out the vertex as needed according to whatever algorithm. Then we store this in chunks, and subdivide pow(2, level) times. Do the same think with a max of 8, vertices would be calculated, and then the terrain would be evenly divided to one more extent than last time. The max error is calculated by pow(2, max_level-level) as I have said many times.
So you can see that each level WILL have a max error of it''s parent/2. It''s quite accurate, I''m finding that in the first step (vertex-LOD calculation) it rarely (if ever) calculates down to the highest vertices possible, meaning that the max_error is almost always reached in each chunk.

I think that I am getting it
Advertisement
Glad I could help, even if it was indirectly

Looks like it was your maximum geometric error per chunk LOD level that was the main cause then. It being so high for all of them forced the highest LOD level to be rendered?

Its also amazing no matter how many times you check your own code that little typos like z+z instead of z*z can slip through. I guess in this case the dist equation is so simple and obvious it was never checked properly as to a quick glance it looks fine.

You mnetion several times that the chunk LOD max error is calaculated by pow(2, max_level-level). I''m rather suprised by this as i''d assumed it had to be related to some form of error between the hieght of the vertices between LOD chunks, or some for of actual unit/distance value. However as it appears you''ve now got it working I guess its right, just a little puzzled over why it has no relation to units or distances.

Anyway its going to be some time before I can get round to trying this for myself. I''d love to see a demo or screenshot (+wireframe) of your project in action.
I could try to wrap it up in a small demo, I'll see if it's as easy as making a new project and using the class. I hope so. Should run fine on almost anything. (I couldn't put out my program right now, it is soo sloppy and unoptimized.)
If anything I'll post a couple screenshots. I may wait though until I also implement the out-of-core data loading because that's where this helps really good, because you can see so far! Right now it's just a 1024x1024 terrain. I've heard this works with up to 40k (I think it might have been that link you gave me in the second post).
I'm also still fine-tuning it to find the best screen error max. I'm a little confused because I thought that people usually used between 2 to 4, but I have to put it up to 6 or 8 to get anything good.
Also, I haven't implemented his solution for cracks or geomorphing yet, I will though.

quote:
Its also amazing no matter how many times you check your own code that little typos like z+z instead of z*z can slip through.

Yeah, seriously. Heh heh, thanks for making me read it again, I probably never would have seen it

And about the max error, if you think about it, you could calculate the real error of the spot with maximum error and such.. but it will always be pow(2, max_level-level) or very close because that's what you set the max error to be at that level when you did the vertex-LOD calculations. And this is just the geometric error, so it doesn't involve distance at all.

I will get stuff up about this, probably on my website, http://www.animeimaging.com. There's absolutely nothing there right now and I'm making a new design, but that's where I'll probably set up a Chunked LOD section. I'll email you when its up. If you have any questions also when you implement this, feel free to email me It doesn't seem like very many people are interested in this subject.

[edited by - okonomiyaki on June 10, 2003 10:31:12 AM]
Would definitely be interested. From all the discussion it looks like Chunk-LOD is probably the best algorithm for rendering large scale terrain scenes. Eventually I''ll get round to writing some terrain rendering code, but should really finish the actual rendering core part of the project first. When I get time .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement