Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problems retrieving system info from registry

This topic is 5304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to retrieve the ComputerName and print it to a text file. My error checking keeps telling me that there is an error when attempting to retrieve the value of the registry key. I''ve pasted the section of code below. I think it has something to do with the fact that the ComputerName I''m trying to query is a string and not an int.....Anybody have any ideas...I''m totally new to registry programming. All help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance! Alex HKEY hKey; DWORD dwSize = 0; DWORD dwDataType = 0; DWORD dwValue = 0; if(::RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\ComputerName\\ComputerName", 0, KEY_QUERY_VALUE, &hKey) == ERROR_SUCCESS) { // Get Computer Name dwSize = sizeof(dwValue); if(::RegQueryValueEx(hKey, "ComputerName", 0, &dwDataType, reinterpret_cast(&dwValue), &dwSize) != ERROR_SUCCESS) { // Close key ::RegCloseKey(hKey); // Error handling; cout << "Error Quering Value" << endl; fout << "Error Quering Value" << endl; } // Close key ::RegCloseKey(hKey); } else { // Error handling; cout << "Error Opening the Key" << endl; fout << "Error Opening the Key" << endl; }