I'm just starting out today

Started by
6 comments, last by kmm755 20 years, 10 months ago
I want to be an excellent game designer/programmer. I have seen some of the sallerys these guys make and it totally blows my mind. I would like to produce a game like Halo or something in my life and i was just wondering what languages to learn and books to read to do that. Also, I noticed that all of the guys in the Bungie team that makes Halo are like in their 20''s and 30''s. How long have they been doing this to make games such as this. What books will teach me what I have mentioned in my post?
Advertisement
This isn''t the kind of thing you should get into for the money.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
ehhhh.... Learn C++ and study the biz. Making games shouldn''t be completely about money because game makers don''t really make waaayyy too much money, especially when they first start out. The people that made Halo prolly spent around 3 years or more learning programming to get to the level they''re at. Game programmers don''t make much money tho because a LOT of people want that job so the industry is like "They want to do it so WHY should we pay them well", i''ve read it''s much better and easier to work for a normal company instead of a game company. As far as producer goes, no one pretty much starts out as a producer.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
The guys at Bungie spent way more than 3 years learning how to program to make Halo. Halo wasn''t even their first game. It takes a decent sized team with several years of experience to make a game like Halo.

Work on mastering C++, or at least getting a good grasp on it, then move onto an API. To be honest with you, you should probably spend at least a year working on just C++ and after you think you know it pretty well, then pick an API (DirectX, SDL, GLUT, and/or OpenGL) and run with it

---------------------------------------------------
laziness is the foundation of efficiency
retrospiral.net | llamas! | megatokyo | FreeBSD | gamedev.net | google
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Dude, dont get into this thing for money, no, mostly all of us here either have a passion for gaming or a passion for programming or both, but almost nobody here is in this stuff for money... And just to tell you most people told me that Game-devver dont make as much money as you think, but other kinds of programmers do... like database. If youre in this for $$ then try some other area...

If youre not :

Go to www.gamedev.net.net/reference/start_here, and check out other parts of this site...

BattleGuard

Whenever I try to find a better signature than this... Well, I can't... This is it, Sorry...

[edited by - BattleGuard on June 4, 2003 11:16:29 PM]
the halo team is probably making a decent living. Their game is very sucessful, and they have the backing of Microsoft. But the financial benefits is more in royalties than in salary I would think. A lot of companies work like that. They pay you peanuts, and if the game sells well, they pay you get extra peanuts. programmers and artists are the last to see the money though. Making money while starting as a games programmer is a myth. How many of you makes more than £23,000 a year (that''s just a number on top of my head )? That''s £1,600 a month after tax, £1000-£900 after rent, bills, pension and various money grabbing schemes, so it''s £250 a week in a good month. Does that sounds a lot? And I don''t even use my car very much (Fuel is 70pence a litre over here, which makes it £3.15 a gallon). A newbie would start at around 18,000-20,000 a year. Do the maths.

Everything is better with Metal.

quote:Original post by BattleGuard
Dude, dont get into this thing for money, no, mostly all of us here either have a passion for gaming or a passion for programming or both, but almost nobody here is in this stuff for money... And just to tell you most people told me that Game-devver dont make as much money as you think, but other kinds of programmers do... like database. If youre in this for $$ then try some other area...

If youre not :

Go to www.gamedev.net.net/reference/start_here, and check out other parts of this site...

BattleGuard

Whenever I try to find a better signature than this... Well, I can''t... This is it, Sorry...

[edited by - BattleGuard on June 4, 2003 11:16:29 PM]

That link doesn''t work

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

he meant that

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement