Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Try my awful chat program! (Server is DOWN)

This topic is 5306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanted to see if I could make a chat program in under 50 lines of code... telnet to froggymoo.no-ip.org at port 3000. It's only pseud-realtime, but type stuff to post it, and type ".v" to veiw the current chat! BTW, it can't steal passwords because it all runs on my computer, so don't worry about me acting like yodathecoda!

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~- If you see the image I am online [edited by - cowsarenotevil on June 5, 2003 7:31:49 PM] [edited by - cowsarenotevil on June 5, 2003 9:42:10 PM]

I wonder if the moderators could, you know, umm, like make sure this program didn''t come from a yodathecoda IP address...

Heck, it would be nice if gamedev.net had a malous code checking program, where it would just make sure the obvous things are NOT in any program posted...that way the posting could be gamedev.net certified....

I don''t think Yoda''s program was server-side; you had to actually download a client and run it, from what I understand. I''m sure telnetting to a remote server does not allow it to read your cookies.

~CGameProgrammer( );

quote:
Original post by CGameProgrammer
I don''t think Yoda''s program was server-side; you had to actually download a client and run it, from what I understand. I''m sure telnetting to a remote server does not allow it to read your cookies.

Yeah, and how could a 40 line program do that? I used really cheap tricks to get even basic functionality out of it. If anyone doesn''t beleive me, I''ll post the source.

Grr... I'm running it on my other computer, and it's causing problems.... try telnetting to moomoochat2.no-ip.org at port 3000... same functionality as above.

EDIT: Remember to use .v to see the current messages and .e to log off. Please tell me if it works properly.

EDIT2: Hmm... I forgot that I'm behind a hardware firewall on this computer, so chances are it won't work...

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on June 5, 2003 1:51:20 PM]

quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
Yeah, and how could a 40 line program do that? I used really cheap tricks to get even basic functionality out of it. If anyone doesn''t beleive me, I''ll post the source.

Cheap tricks like...having 1000-char lines?

quote:
Original post by ShoelessManiac
quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil

Cheap tricks like...having 1000-char lines?

Nope! More along the line of not actually writing a server or a client. Ah, the power of netcat

Ok. All is working now. Access it at froggymoo.no-ip.org port 3000. When you use .v, you will be able to watch the chat go on. Then, to type a message, just begin typing, and use .v again after pressing enter to send the message. Use .e to exit, as always. Hope it works

EDIT: Realtime seemed to crash the program in telnet, so just use .v to refresh.

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on June 5, 2003 6:25:44 PM]

Hmm... it worked, but netcat only seemed to be able to accept one connection at a time... How would I fix that? It almost works between the host (me) and one other person though... here's a log

EDIT: The source box removed the exess newlines though...

LOGGED:

Alfred?

YAY!.v

Yes?

what[C[C[B[Bwhat?

.cv

hello?.v

alfred?

You there?

.hello?

yes I am here

HWaWhat??

Hi!

it's putting a bunch of new lines after your text though...

you still alive?

Oh well...

Yeh eh Im alive

Yes I am alive!

itits doin that fer you too

Any idea why??

Huh? did I tyoe you still alive? I didn't...

no Idea.

At least if functions somewhat...

Are you there?

yes

but im chatting at the same time

so...yeh

oh, I see

Its ok ^_^ BAllall fun....so........

Ok... lets stop this for now... use .e to log off, then press enter twice.

@_@ What you doin??

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on June 5, 2003 6:46:31 PM]

quote:
Original post by ShoelessManiac
- YOU ARE OFFICIALLY A LOSER -

....you posted five times in a row.

Hmm... font sizes only go up to 7. And do you actually expect me to pay attention to your incoherent ramblings? Now either help me or go away.

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on June 5, 2003 8:28:26 PM]

I'm running windows for what it's worth... The code just reads and writes to a text file, and netcat allows it to be run remotely. If netcat could accept +1 connections, it would work (albeit badly)

EDIT: Try connecting one more time.

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on June 5, 2003 8:56:54 PM]

I did not give anyone permission to try to crash my server. I''ve shut down the server for now (no, you did not crash it, you just made a very large log file that I deleted. If anyone else attemts to DoS my server(which is actually very easy), just remember, I can run netstat at any time and find out who is doing it.