Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Games Ever Made

This topic is 5308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone I was just it would be cool to get an idea on what peoples first ever game made was. Did you go straight to 3d or start with 2d and what was the reasong you did make it 3d, 2d etc. Give us a run down of the game to.

Guest Anonymous Poster
my first game was an asteroids clone
done in c++ using directdraw (2d)
direct3d looked too hard at the time

When I first started trying to make games they were 2D and in VisualBasic, then I entered 3D with the TrueVision3D engine (in VB). Now I''m programming in C++ and writing my own 3D engine. I think I went from hello world to 3D environments in directx.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

I''m still on my first game! It''s a 3D game called Infinity - which I hope someday will be an action/shooter and strategy game in one! The theme of this game takes place far in the future on another planet. You can download a demo of it on my site in the "My Projects" section. The link to my site is in my sig.

My Project Homepage (Infinity) | E-Mail Me | Message Me on AIM

My first real attempt at a game ended up being an AD&D character generator (cause I never got the rest written, but then I was using GWBASIC, didn''t know about GOSUB yet, and was 11).

My second thing ended up being a screen saver, which basically drew a bunch of pretty colored circles on the screen, also in GWBASIC, but actually using GOSUB and some structure/design. The algorithms and draw routines we''re written to be part of an artillery game, but the game also never happened.

... time passes (and right now I don''t remember what I did between 12 years old and 19) ...

Then at community college, my first real game happened ... it was a Zork clone (text based adventure game), written in Pascal, and running on VAX terminals. Man was that thing fun to make ... It even loaded the whole game world simply from text files in my user account (talk about damn good data driven design for a first game ... no hardcoded maps, no hardcoded puzzles ... the only things hardcoded where the verbs, the directions, and the abrieviations). The game engine reached an acceptable level of completeion, but of course since we kept adding to it, we never called it finished.

Then college and too many small things, test apps, failed attempts, and design sketches to remember ...

Then work ... and many gambling games later ...

I''m now working on what I would call my first self developed (not for a salary), going to be COMPLETED (in the sense that you could distribute it, not just for geeks only), actual game. And it''s a turn based sci-fi strategy game ... as close to a Stars! rip-off as you can come, while still doing an original game design.

My first game was called "Classic C*ntcentration". It was that card game where you keep flipping two for pairs until you have turned them all over. The cards were all people like Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Tony Blair etc ... It was written in the Windows GDI though and it was slooooooow!

I think my first game was a space invaders clone (ascii) on a old system 2000 computer (around/before the vic-20 from memory). Then a biorythm type prog on the vic-20.. (they where all the rage back then LOL)

Moved on the 64 and then the Amiga.. ah.. the memorys.. (and the beer :D)

Jumpman - Under Construction

My first "test-game", or whatever to call it, was X-worm. Kinda like nibbles, without the apples and the worm never stopped to grow. MCGA in Turbo Pascal.
My first real game was an adventure game, Lucas Arts style, MCGA in Turbo Pascal as well.

My first full game was 'Super Go Go Chaos Warrior Fight World Deluxe - Episode II: Knees of Steel'. It was a two player platform combat game in Java and actually proved quite entertaining. Looking back at it, the code was horrendous and I really was being ambitious for a first game but it was the best learning experience I've ever had.

edit:
In case anyone is intigued, it's still in my old geoshitties account. The site aint active but here's a direct link to the games page. By all means laugh at it, I do.

http://www.geocities.com/m_wherrett/portfoliocp/chaoswarrior.html

[edited by - m_wherrett on June 5, 2003 4:07:58 AM]

I''m another child of QBasic. My first game was in answer to a competition on the old neozones site (not neozones.com) to make a game in 4 lines of code (256 characters per line). It was called twinkle and had ASCII enemies. Sadly it sucked and I didn''t even come 3rd.

It was a bit like asteroids but with 0 game play. The asteroids or *''s (ASCII) came form the top of the screen to the bottom all at a uniform speed. If you hit a white star you died and if you hit a yellow star you got 1 point.

to Nirklas,

My first game was ALSO a nibbles clone, but then I improved it and turned it into a TRON - racing cycles game... you know, the cool grid, and you must not hit the opponent''s line...

It was my first game, and my first attemt, total success. Since then, it was all downhill.

www.cppnow.com

my first game (other than crummy dos games) was a remake of asteroids. It was a combination of 2d and 3d graphics, made with opengl. The ship itself was 2d, and the asteroids were 3d. The game was an overhead view, and the number of asteroids increased with each new level. There was also sound effects, background music, and powerups .

That was 10 months ago.

Link //For the latest on all of the IVGDA projects!

First game, eh? Well, that would have to be a text-based adventure game on the TI-82 Calculator. After that, it was several text-based games like yahtzee, blackjack, etc (all on the TI-82). I learned it myself, and didn''t have anyone to tell me GOTOs were evil. I learned that lesson all by myself!

After that, it was an actual text-based RPG in QBasic, followed by various attempts at graphics culminating in QBasic, which all failed miserably. When I went to C++, I learned DirectDraw and finally made my first real game: a 2-d tile-based RPG

MY first game was a snake-clone(nibbles), wich i called "the snake's hole" in C, and it was pretty cool for a guy that learned C in a few months. The game was indeed a snake-clone, but in my "version" there were special apples that made the snake longer and faster, some would slow it down, and sometimes there was a thing that came out of the walls to kill the snake hehe. If i knew then what i know today, man the game would be even more awesome!!.Before this game i had no programming skills, but after that i did many games in C,C++, ASSEMBLER and JAVA. ight now im studying stuff so i can make a RPG game, with all the things we like most of RPG's. Its gonna be 3d, probably using Direct3d.

[edited by - PacketLoss on June 5, 2003 9:17:12 AM]

My first game, I think, was written in BASIC programming class. I was also playing D&D at the time. It was a text-based battle between you and a blue dragon. Sometimes it would claw and bite, sometimes it would breath on you. Of course the goal was to survive.

Very simple.

The first in a long line of little experiments.

My first game was a Minesweeper game in QBasic. At the time I didn''t know how to use GOSUB, so it ended up being 15000+ lines (yes I did a lot of copy & paste and the code was horrible).

The very first game I ever wrote was a text based adventure on the C64. I had a long break after that though, and the next game I made was a fake 3D dungeon crawl, kind of like Dungeon Hack but nowhere near as polished . Oh it was written in VB and the code was horrible.