• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DD20

First Games Ever Made

This topic is 5617 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone I was just it would be cool to get an idea on what peoples first ever game made was. Did you go straight to 3d or start with 2d and what was the reasong you did make it 3d, 2d etc. Give us a run down of the game to.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
my first game was an asteroids clone
done in c++ using directdraw (2d)
direct3d looked too hard at the time

When I first started trying to make games they were 2D and in VisualBasic, then I entered 3D with the TrueVision3D engine (in VB). Now I''m programming in C++ and writing my own 3D engine. I think I went from hello world to 3D environments in directx.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

To Jambalo

25 years ago, geez. You must be making some pretty special stuff now hey?

My first real attempt at a game ended up being an AD&D character generator (cause I never got the rest written, but then I was using GWBASIC, didn''t know about GOSUB yet, and was 11).

My second thing ended up being a screen saver, which basically drew a bunch of pretty colored circles on the screen, also in GWBASIC, but actually using GOSUB and some structure/design. The algorithms and draw routines we''re written to be part of an artillery game, but the game also never happened.

... time passes (and right now I don''t remember what I did between 12 years old and 19) ...

Then at community college, my first real game happened ... it was a Zork clone (text based adventure game), written in Pascal, and running on VAX terminals. Man was that thing fun to make ... It even loaded the whole game world simply from text files in my user account (talk about damn good data driven design for a first game ... no hardcoded maps, no hardcoded puzzles ... the only things hardcoded where the verbs, the directions, and the abrieviations). The game engine reached an acceptable level of completeion, but of course since we kept adding to it, we never called it finished.

Then college and too many small things, test apps, failed attempts, and design sketches to remember ...

Then work ... and many gambling games later ...

I''m now working on what I would call my first self developed (not for a salary), going to be COMPLETED (in the sense that you could distribute it, not just for geeks only), actual game. And it''s a turn based sci-fi strategy game ... as close to a Stars! rip-off as you can come, while still doing an original game design.

My first game was called "Classic C*ntcentration". It was that card game where you keep flipping two for pairs until you have turned them all over. The cards were all people like Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Tony Blair etc ... It was written in the Windows GDI though and it was slooooooow!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!