Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diablo II

This topic is 5303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is Diablo II 3D? I''ve played it alot and it always looked and felt 2D to me (a well done 2D, but 2D none the less). Graphics programming isn''t my strongest suit though, so I may have no idea what I''m talking about.

Guest Anonymous Poster
they probably drew the graphics in d2 in a 3d program, and then exported them to a 2d format.

To do it, they first make a 3D model, texture it, and animate it. After this, instead of using a 3D render, they render it as a 2D shape.

Scott Simontis
Game Programmer in Training
Have a nice day!
Current Project: Learn DirectX

He's asking if the wall and floor tiles are rendered as 3D polygons so that the lighting appears accurate, or if Blizzard implemented some 2D trick for the shadowing and lighting.

I'm thinking of the columns in the tombs here. The shadows rotate on the floors to torchlight as if it is accurately lit.

[edited by - Waverider on June 5, 2003 4:09:54 PM]

IIRC, there is a setting in the graphics that allow you to decide for the game to use Direct3D to render.

If you don't use Direct3D, does it then use DirectDraw?

I'm pretty sure if you have parallax activated, it is using 3D polygons with the bitmaps as textures, but I'm not certain.

[edited by - Waverider on June 5, 2003 4:57:18 PM]

The 3D models were textured. From a programmer's perspective, it's a 2D game.

[EDIT] I'd like to see a new Diablo.

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

[edited by - Rob Loach on June 5, 2003 6:49:52 PM]

quote:
Original post by Nazrix
One quick question:

Did Diablo II use 3D polygons as tiles so that they can do 3D lighting or was it done some other way?

Here is article Gamasutra did on Diablo II.
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20001025/schaefer_01.htm

It might have some answers.

Guest Anonymous Poster
no it would be stupid and wasteful to store both 2d graphics and 3d. its all 2d, just in 3d the lighting is a bit more advanced.

The game itself uses 2d graphics for everything, but when in 3d mode it uses some features of Direct3D to (significantly) improve lighting and such. It also enables the Perspective ( I think it was called perspective) which gave the 2d graphics a 3D-Goggle style effect to imitate 3d graphics.