Diablo II

Started by
11 comments, last by Nazrix 20 years, 10 months ago
One quick question: Did Diablo II use 3D polygons as tiles so that they can do 3D lighting or was it done some other way?
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
Is Diablo II 3D? I''ve played it alot and it always looked and felt 2D to me (a well done 2D, but 2D none the less). Graphics programming isn''t my strongest suit though, so I may have no idea what I''m talking about.
Thanks,CodeJunkie
they probably drew the graphics in d2 in a 3d program, and then exported them to a 2d format.
To do it, they first make a 3D model, texture it, and animate it. After this, instead of using a 3D render, they render it as a 2D shape.

Scott Simontis
Game Programmer in Training
Have a nice day!
Current Project: Learn DirectX
Scott SimontisMy political blog
yea dude diablo2 was completely 2D. Think sprites.
He's asking if the wall and floor tiles are rendered as 3D polygons so that the lighting appears accurate, or if Blizzard implemented some 2D trick for the shadowing and lighting.

I'm thinking of the columns in the tombs here. The shadows rotate on the floors to torchlight as if it is accurately lit.

[edited by - Waverider on June 5, 2003 4:09:54 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
D2 can be run with D3D and I think that has the more advanced effects.
I could be off here... but I thought it is rendered in 3D, it just has a fixed camera... ?

---------------------------------------------------
laziness is the foundation of efficiency
retrospiral.net | llamas! | megatokyo | FreeBSD | gamedev.net | google
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
IIRC, there is a setting in the graphics that allow you to decide for the game to use Direct3D to render.

If you don't use Direct3D, does it then use DirectDraw?

I'm pretty sure if you have parallax activated, it is using 3D polygons with the bitmaps as textures, but I'm not certain.

[edited by - Waverider on June 5, 2003 4:57:18 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
The 3D models were textured. From a programmer's perspective, it's a 2D game.

[EDIT] I'd like to see a new Diablo.

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

[edited by - Rob Loach on June 5, 2003 6:49:52 PM]
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement