Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Screensaver

This topic is 5273 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
Original post by jlebrech
How do i set up glut so that i can make a screensaver, and would it be possible to use it as the background of my desktop?

An animated background would be pretty cool. I guess you would have to grab the screen handle and find the icons and windows so you can mask them. But what do you do when someone drags and drops an icon or moves or resizes a window? Maybe you could intercept all those messages?

If someone wrote something that analyzed the screen and built the masks, it would be a really cool general purpose tool. Then you could call that before each frame and add your stuff to display behind the masks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
A screensaver is just a .exe with the extension changed to .scr, nothing special.

Well, I''ve seen something similar to that on-the-desktop idea of yours from ATI. They used to bundle (dunno if it''s still so) some software for use with the TV-in of their cards. That software could use the desktop-background for video. Looked very nice....

I was thinking of making something similar to drempels but with opengl, like a new lype of interface, it would be similar to the progman of old but in 3d with boxes for program categories and 3d objects inside (maybe even animated .md2 models)

Does the background have a default handle then that would be perfect.

Just found out what it is, its 0

just downloading mingw right now.

[edited by - jlebrech on July 7, 2003 7:49:14 AM]

http://www.cs.unibo.it/~ljw1004/download/howtoscr.html

Everything you could possibly want to know on how to write a screensaver for any kind of Windows.