3D Textures for dynamic lights(speed?)

Started by
-1 comments, last by Basiror 20 years, 10 months ago
hi i have read a topic about using 3d textures for photorealistic shading of 3d objects in modern engines and thought this could be the solution to my concerns about dynamic lights in my engine a player is 72 [UNITs] high (quake engine measure) it s going to be an egoshooter and i have a lot of dynamic lights due to gun fire my mapformat is set up to be rendered with vertex arrays to allow high polycounts but since my gf4 ti 4800 is limited to 8 lights i had to break my scene into small chunks in order to reposition all these dynamic lights unfortunately lightmaps won t work since it is a really high polygonal scene so i thought i could just render blended 3D textures with 48*48*48 RGBA in order to create these lightning effects and to create light cones and so on what do you think? or did you try this approach already my main concern is speed since i don t want to reduce graphic quality i already got all these reflections on water surfaces (pretty nice effect as long all your water surfaces are coplanar :D, but that s an level design issue) if the performance costs are neglectable it would help me a lot thx for your replies in advance
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement