Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making a Pac-Man clone

This topic is 5308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I have a quick question about the 2D Pac-Man game I thinking about developing. I have come up with all the ideas of how the game will look, what type of levels etc. However, I am not sure about a few points. Here they are: First of all, i''m not sure how to make the levels? What are the different ways I can develop each level? Also, other objects like Pac-Man, ghost, walls, fruit and any other object, would I use something like Paint shop pro to create the images or is there a better way? Thanks, Michael

You could use Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop or something to make simple sprites... If it''s just a learning thing, then you could rip them.

I would probably go about writing a level editor which will output the levels to a certain structure that your game can read and build the levels as you need them.

-- Steve --

Do you know where I can get some sprites?

How would I make a custom editor? have a text file with numbers and each number means something different like 1 might mean wall, 2 might mean fruit,3 might mean part of the maze? Is this what you mean by a level editor.

Well, one way to store the levels is using an array of say characters (2D or 1D) and have one character represent an object in the game. This makes drawing/representation of the levels very simple since internally you will only change the symbols of the objects and externally you will just change the image that represents a symbol to change the appearance of the level. I have create a simple level editor that lets you visually design levels and outputs them in binary format. However, this is done using Java. If you are interested I can send you the source code and the .class file to experiment with it. It is still under development but it does the basic stuff.

Hope this helps and good luck on your game