Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Animated skinned mesh and intersection

This topic is 5305 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to work on the vertices of an animated skinned mesh (bounding box, raytracing, collision, etc...), but I don''t know to obtain its vertices positions (I know how to do this with a simple mesh, but not when it''s animated). All I obtain is the vertices positions when the mesh is not animated. Someone can help me ? Thanks

Well, looks a bit difficult for me but I think one way would be to obtain the whole array of vertices and link each one to its specific/s bone/s. The trick is that every frame in the animation, the bones matrices get updated, so you should apply the transformations to every vertex affected by bones...
I think this would be not very hard to implement if your vertices are influenced by only ONE bone, but for more bones I think it should get more difficult and the overhead will really increase... I don't recommend you to use this for collision detection if you are using high detail models...
What I said came out of my mind recently... I may be wrong, correct me If I am...

No matter where you go... &this

[edited by - DerMeister on June 5, 2003 7:45:37 PM]

Surely each bone will have a bounding box. This will get transformed into world space during the bone transformation. I would have thought testing on a per vertex/poly basis would be a very bad idea.

[edited by - axeman13 on June 6, 2003 4:12:15 AM]