Animated skinned mesh and intersection

Started by
2 comments, last by FNourry 20 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I want to work on the vertices of an animated skinned mesh (bounding box, raytracing, collision, etc...), but I don''t know to obtain its vertices positions (I know how to do this with a simple mesh, but not when it''s animated). All I obtain is the vertices positions when the mesh is not animated. Someone can help me ? Thanks
Advertisement
Well, looks a bit difficult for me but I think one way would be to obtain the whole array of vertices and link each one to its specific/s bone/s. The trick is that every frame in the animation, the bones matrices get updated, so you should apply the transformations to every vertex affected by bones...
I think this would be not very hard to implement if your vertices are influenced by only ONE bone, but for more bones I think it should get more difficult and the overhead will really increase... I don't recommend you to use this for collision detection if you are using high detail models...
What I said came out of my mind recently... I may be wrong, correct me If I am...

No matter where you go... &this

[edited by - DerMeister on June 5, 2003 7:45:37 PM]
No matter where you go... &this
Surely each bone will have a bounding box. This will get transformed into world space during the bone transformation. I would have thought testing on a per vertex/poly basis would be a very bad idea.

[edited by - axeman13 on June 6, 2003 4:12:15 AM]
Thanks you two. The bounding box solution seems to work. I will try DerMeister''s if needed (and post here to help others)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement