Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mathematics...

This topic is 5306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, to put things short: I used to hate mathematics, but I am slowly starting to see the light. I am the kid who couldn''t stand maths in school, and didn''t pay attention. But, now that i''ve been reading books on algorithms that I could put to use in programming, I have discovered I actually like math somehow. Anyways.. I was wondering if you guys could tell me some good books which would teach me everything I need to know (and know it well) about Algebra, and then maybe some Trig and Calculus. Mainly I just want to boost my Algebra skills, as I lack in algebraic problem solving. Any ideas?

I would say as far as algebra is concerned, the hardest thing for me was the expansion/factoring of functions. I didn''t really get any good at algebraic programs until I started taking calculus classes. Although if you are at all as lazy as I am, I would suggest getting a TI-89 calculator, it does algebra for you.

Not sure about any good books, but a free website that was pulled up w/ a quick google search was: http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/

It seems to be pretty reputable.

Yeah...DudeMiester has a point. You will be able to learn a lot more in less time through taking classes. This time last year I had just started trig and now I''m at the calculus 2 level. Not withstanding that I am a CS major and lots of math classes are required, if I were to learn everything that I had up til now independantly, it could have taken me significantly longer. I don''t care what anyone says; learning just from a book alone outside of the classroom setting has a tendency to cause a person to study in a passive manner. Tests and homework forces a person to become very active in their learning provided they want a good grade. But there are always some exceptions, and not everyone fits this mold, so take it as a suggestion.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by bastard2k5
Although if you are at all as lazy as I am, I would suggest getting a TI-89 calculator, it does algebra for you.

I''m guessing there was some sarcasm there, but please, please do not mistake being able to use a calculator to solve algebraic equations with understanding algebra. They are two seperate skills, both of which are quiet useful.

Oh, and I second what DudeMiester said.