Mathematics...

Started by
5 comments, last by fiznut 20 years, 10 months ago
Okay, to put things short: I used to hate mathematics, but I am slowly starting to see the light. I am the kid who couldn''t stand maths in school, and didn''t pay attention. But, now that i''ve been reading books on algorithms that I could put to use in programming, I have discovered I actually like math somehow. Anyways.. I was wondering if you guys could tell me some good books which would teach me everything I need to know (and know it well) about Algebra, and then maybe some Trig and Calculus. Mainly I just want to boost my Algebra skills, as I lack in algebraic problem solving. Any ideas?
Prying open my third eye.
Advertisement
I would say as far as algebra is concerned, the hardest thing for me was the expansion/factoring of functions. I didn''t really get any good at algebraic programs until I started taking calculus classes. Although if you are at all as lazy as I am, I would suggest getting a TI-89 calculator, it does algebra for you.
Not sure about any good books, but a free website that was pulled up w/ a quick google search was: http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/

It seems to be pretty reputable.
Why don't you take a course at your local univeristy/collage/high school?

[edited by - DudeMiester on June 5, 2003 12:14:08 AM]
[s] [/s]
I can see the fnords.
Yeah...DudeMiester has a point. You will be able to learn a lot more in less time through taking classes. This time last year I had just started trig and now I''m at the calculus 2 level. Not withstanding that I am a CS major and lots of math classes are required, if I were to learn everything that I had up til now independantly, it could have taken me significantly longer. I don''t care what anyone says; learning just from a book alone outside of the classroom setting has a tendency to cause a person to study in a passive manner. Tests and homework forces a person to become very active in their learning provided they want a good grade. But there are always some exceptions, and not everyone fits this mold, so take it as a suggestion.
Well, R2D22U2..
quote:Original post by bastard2k5
Although if you are at all as lazy as I am, I would suggest getting a TI-89 calculator, it does algebra for you.

I''m guessing there was some sarcasm there, but please, please do not mistake being able to use a calculator to solve algebraic equations with understanding algebra. They are two seperate skills, both of which are quiet useful.

Oh, and I second what DudeMiester said.
I third what DudeMiester said.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement