How many lines of code does an average prog.....

Started by
56 comments, last by Basiror 20 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by ZachO
quote:Original post by Robot18F
How about if I cut and paste 2000 lines of code out of the help files and online tutorials ? Does that count as "written" code ? Programming is 50% pladgerism. The other 50% is knowing what code to copy.

Obviously, you aren''t a programmer.

Well, I''ve been going under the title of software engineer for over 10 years now, programming robots, industrial controls, and medical imaging devices, but maybe your right.
My point there was that you can''t judge software, or the abilities of a programmer, by how many lines of source code it contains. My company doesn''t care how many lines of source code I write, they just want my software to work according to the specifications, and be done on schedule.
Advertisement
The code impact would not be that great with any of the examples unless called serveral thousand times or greater. Each revision is better and yes the compiler would know to bit shift when doing operation against a constant.

Though I do beleive that it betteris written with hungrain notation on the respect of readiblity. And I'm the type of guy that the curly bracket is on its own line..... Easily showing you where your if statement of loop begins and ends by tracking it back up to the next one on the same line with correct indentation.

optimizations does not play any roll during development any. It is best to leave that for last as you might have to rewrite half of it anyways. Like proformance gains from accessing array's with ++-> is faster than indexing into it. by advancing the pointer to the correct location speeds this type of operation up.

Of coarse there are many other types statments that any group programmers may use. But the point is that the all must agree on readiblity and when to think about optimizations. If you see one glaring at you and you feel like you can not close the file with out changing it then, I would suggest commenting the original out the making the modification. Otherwise it would give me perfect reason to slap you upside the head for not talking to others about it, and removing code that could have well be optimized out of use anyways.

Edit -- bad grammer..

[edited by - afterburn on June 6, 2003 2:03:08 PM]
--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
quote:Original post by BriTeg

42. No more, no less.

The true measure of a geekatude is whether or not the above statement is truly appreciated
I spent the last 2 weeks making a tetris game. I finished yesterday and today when I started my computer it made a loud bang. I still don''t know what happened. One thing is sure. The HDD is gone. I lost every single line of code that i wrote. That is about 1500 the tetris and another 35 000 the other 300 programs that i had made.
razvan that must feel really bad
Din''t you hold any backup copies ?
Must backup everything (I''m very bad at it).... That would be disasterous for me if that happened to me right now. Sorry that had to happen to you.
That must have been an IBM hard drive... mine did the same thing not too long ago. Thanks for reminding me to burn a CD of my code... need to do that today...
Wow, a necromanced thread!

If requirements are clear, test cases simple, integration load is low, and moon phases align, I can keep going for 12 hours (straight, except for potty breaks). That''ll crank out thousands of lines of code, and probably work well.

Now, most of the time, life isn''t that simple. Designs have holes (even my own!), integration is ill specified, test cases are hard to generate because the code pulls together 25 different distributed services, and the moon is in eclipse.

Oh, and the QA lead called; he needs someone to determine whether some behavior is a bug or not. Not gonna get much coding of my own done that way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement