Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do lan games use peer to peer can u used client server which is better

This topic is 5306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m making a game but aiming alot at lan type environement but using client server is this good for lan or should I create another peer to peer model using dplay

Well since it is so hard to find help on these forms, I will give you my two cents but I would not advise you to follow it u_u

Ok, if I were you I would use Client-server setup when playing on a lan. I think it would more effiecnt and faster that peer-to-peer. What protocall do you plan on using? udp or tcp/ip?
I to im begging to program my first network game but cant seem to find any help.
Why are you using DPlay? is it better than Winsock or is it easier to understand/use? lol I know im asking questions rather than replying to yours but I cant help it. Its a learning process I guess please respond so we can share information.
Good day

yah its good to go through the winsock tutorials but if
you go through the dplay with the dx9 sdk its pretty much the same. Dplay does alot of the stuff for you but you still have to do some of the same steps of basic connection. Dplay uses winsock. but dplays cool cuz it handles things for you that would take alot of time with winsock, I think winsock is good, but dplay you get started faster with the same concept plus theres alot of documentation and examples with it, don''t spend so much time searching for stuff no the web. Then you can always use winsock to optimize it with details cuz dplay does handle all the major routines and concepts which are higher level which I think are more important.
thats what I think.