Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using older DirectX code with newer DX 8 and 9.

This topic is 5303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay its finally time to come of age, I have been using the old graphics engine provided from "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus". Now that engine is 2d (and ive hacked it to be more than 256 colors etc..) but its all for work with the directX 6.0 SDK, everytime I try to compile it with my directories pointing to the directX 8.0 SDK it cant find some stuff (mostly in the sound part of the engine). So what do I need to change? I get errors mostly of the undeclared identifier like for this line: int DSound_Load_Wav(char* filename, int control_flags=DSBCAPS_CTRLDEFAULT); it says undeclared identifier DSBCAPS_CTRLDEFAULT then for: lpdi=EnumDevices(DIDEVTYPE_JOYSTICK, ... ...); the DIDEVTYPE_JOYSTICK is undeclared and so is my DirectInputCreate. I assume its because in the directX 8.0 SDk this interface has changed somehow or something...so what do I have to do so i can compile my code with the directX 8.0 sdk, i ask this because I got a new computer id like tod evelop for and thats what i could install on it, i couldnt find the DirectX 6.0 sdk anywhere (anyone have links to it?) and my cd for that book that had it is jacked up and im not yet brave enough to tackle directX 9.0 (since i read somewhere DX 8 has old interfaces and it didnt say anything bout 9) thanks, Shane